5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gripping!, 25 Oct 2009
Mr. P. J. Simmons "Phil" (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Whelan: Playing to Win -The Autobiography (Hardcover)
This book is inspirational. From the very first chapter it flows with a series of easy to read and enjoyable anecdotes. I could not put this down. It is not all football. Read the available pages on the amazon website and you can see why this is a must read book. I read a lot and this is the best book I have read for some years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GIFTED MAN ., 27 Dec 2009
This review is from: Dave Whelan: Playing to Win -The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I have often wondered what makes a man like Dave Whelan tick. Well this book tells it as it was for so many of us through the war years and so much more. He was a top footballer who went on to become a businessman second to none. His whole life was one of trial and adversity and yet his determination to succeed at everything he did coupled with above average intelligence made him the man he is today. His capacity for sheer hard work also ensured him the success he so richly deserved. The people of Wigan owe so much to him and I suspect many do not realise just what he has done for the Town. Apart from saving the rugby and football teams from extinction he has provided thousands of jobs and so much more.The book is very well written and a most entertaining read, a book about life as it is and how hard it can be sometimes.All in all a remarkable man,Thanks Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Whelan "Playing to Win", 25 Feb 2010
J. Quayle (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Whelan: Playing to Win -The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Bought this book for my husband who read it in record time as he really enjoyed every bit of it. In fact, he said I would enjoy it also which I am doing at the moment (although the football content is not really my "scene"). We have both admired Dave Whelan for the way he has been so successful, coming from a working class background. In fact, my husband and I are members of one of his Sports Fitness Centres which we both thoroughly enjoy. Dave's book is interesting to see how he made such a success of his business acumen. My husband recommends every sports fan to read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A boy's own view- By James Arkwright, 25 Dec 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Dave Whelan: Playing to Win -The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Amazing book. The first half is about his Blackburn days and about special things that have happened in his life.

The second half is about how he formed JJB and how he spent millions on making the latics victorious.

He goes into every little detail, but is never boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014
great

Dave Whelan: Playing to Win -The Autobiography
Dave Whelan: Playing to Win -The Autobiography by Dave Whelan (Hardcover - 20 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 14.18