Published on 19 Aug 2007 by chris

3.0 out of 5 stars not as complete as hoped
I am a course fisherman and was looking for a book to introduce me to fly fishing. This book didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.
Published 13 months ago by M. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars A colourful, bright, fresh and interesting angle on an old theme, 19 Aug 2007
John Bailey always applies his own angle (no pun) to the well documented subject of fishing. In this instance this book feels modern, bright and fresh it is easy to follow and has his certain style embedded in it that makes it an enjoyable read. Thats important when you realize that really very little is new, how can it be the subject is done to death elsewhere and has all been covered for years before. Somehow he always seems to cross that obstacle and with the addition of excellent photos and exotic aspects ie Black bass, Taimen, Bonefish etc (the new aspects) his clear style and buoyant presentation I think it works. I recommend it as a useful and interesting addition to the flyfishing collection it is afterall quite cheap for what you get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful for beginner but..., 2 April 2009
B. Bardsley (S. Wales) - See all my reviews
This book provides the learner with a real comprehensive breakdown of all the pertinent issues associated with Fly Fishing. It delves into the technical side of casting, choice of fly & equipment and fishing different spots (large ponds vs rivers etc), to name but a few. It is an excellent read, written in an easy to read format with fantastic illustrations to link text with visual example.
Where I think this could have been improved, is on the issue of feeling a take. I realise this is probably a topic that does come with experience, and there is very little to advise on, but a section on this would have been really useful. Instead, there are fleeting mentions of feeling takes, which I probably think is the most important part of fly fishing.
All-in-all a great reading for anyone new to this fabulous sport.
Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars John Bailey's Complete Guide to Fly Fishing, 24 May 2011
Well explained & detailed for the beginner or experianced. Had the book from the library & found it so helpfull I wanted my own copy for referance. Would highly recommend to anyone interested in fly fishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book then check out the sport...!!, 11 July 2014
F. Devlin "Uachtarain" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
If there is a better fishing book than this I haven't found it...!

3.0 out of 5 stars not as complete as hoped, 17 July 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at the Brits, 22 Mar 2013
Tony Paul (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Good book, aimed at us Brits rather than the usual Americans although I would say solely for beginners. I don't think anyone experienced would learn much

4.0 out of 5 stars Fly-fishers delight, 18 Feb 2012
I originally bought this book because I had heard about it at my local library but could not find if it anywhere to buy. Onto the net and picked it up for a great price, whats more the book did not disappointIt makes you picture the action just like a good book should. You actually feel like a fly fisherman, and all the terms that may have caused you to shake your head in puzzlement now make sense. No longer is flyfishing for the upper classes, now anyone can do it and not just for salmon and trout,. Now you can stalk practicallybany fish you fancy. From Brook trout under a pound to forty pounds and above pike, and that's just in fresh water. Sea bass to shark. This book covers the lot. What else gives so much for so little, what are you waiting for. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars John bailey,s Fly fishing, 15 Jan 2012
I,m happy with this book it arrived on time and in good conition It was very good telling you about fly fishing and i would tell other fishermen to get it

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good read, but far from complete, 24 Sep 2009
D. Nye - See all my reviews
Interesting and tries to cover a lot of ground, but as a result is far too general to be used as either a starter book or as a 'complete' guide. The section on tackle in particular could do with a lot more detail.

Complete Guide to Fly Fishing
Complete Guide to Fly Fishing by John Bailey (Paperback - 31 May 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01