Format: PaperbackChange

HALL OF FAMEon 29 January 2003
I love this picture book, not only because it's one of the few which has a black protagonist (instead of being added into a picture as a token multiracial statement) but because Grace herself is such a great character, and her yearnings will be recognised by any child. She wants to play Peter Pan in the school play, but not only is she not a boy, but black. However, her strong-minded granny supports her, and Grace triumphs. Funny, ground-breaking and full of couragae and optimism, this lovely book should grace every child's shelf.
on 8 February 2003
Grace is a girl who likes to act, to dance and to sing. When she decides to try out for the part of Peter Pan, in her school play, she has to overcome the doubts of her classmates. 'Amazing Grace' is beautifully illustrated and deals with prejudice in a way that young children can understand.
I brought the book because I noticed that my four-year-old goddaughter was very selective about the dolls and books she preferred. She eventually admitted, 'I like light skin. I don't like dark skin.'
When my goddaughter saw the 'dark skinned' girl illustrated on the cover she said, 'I don't want THAT book!' I told her it was about a girl who enjoyed dressing-up and dancing like a ballerina, 'A little girl just like you.' She really enjoyed the story and asked me to read it to her three more times in the space of an hour!
'Amazing Grace' is a great way of beginning to explore diversity with young children. It should be on every four-year-old's bookshelf.
on 2 December 2009
Myself and My 3 Year old daughter both love this book. Me because it revolves around a family unit that comprises all girls (just like ours) and it all seems very normal. My Daughter because she loves the idea that Grace can be anything she wants to be and it is ok.
on 21 May 2011
A truly fantastic story that my 5 year old can really identify with. He has recently experienced racist comments at school and was feeling quite sad about it. This story was a good way of building his confidence again and showing him that he should rise above things. Great book!!
on 4 November 2011
What a wonderfully positive book!

I read this to my 7 and 9 year olds as a light read compared with what they are used to, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. I won't describe the plot as others have done so but I have to say that the illustrations are just amazing, so life-like! I wonder if they are based on a real little Grace somewhere?!!

One thing that I liked was the part of the story where Grace's mum starts to get upset when Grace says that her classmate had told her she couldn't be Peter Pan as she is black and he was white; Nanna interrupts and diffuses the situation by saying that she can be anything she wants to be, and she knows of a way to prove this beyond doubt. I think that grandparents often have this wisdom and pacifist tendency whereas parents often go straight to 'angry'! Also, it just didn't seem the place for remonstrating against what could be perceived as racism from small children, with their simplistic world view, although I don't see it as racism and made sure to portray the statement as that of a little girl who just wants to adhere strictly to 'the facts'. I think that maybe 'racism' was something that the author wanted to touch on, but I think that perhaps a black child could have made that statement with just as much innocence and this could have been reflected in the story. 5 to 6 year olds can be sticklers for detail!

Mum and Nanna seem to just radiate pride in Grace's achievements and I thought that that was just beautiful - celebrating the little things in little people's lives. I happened to read the A5-sized book and that in itself is more appealing to little ones, but I would definitely recommend this book reagardless of size to all children under the age of maybe 8.

Get your copy today!
on 14 October 2004
My daughter simply adores this book. Excellent animation, and a lovely theme, that no matter what gender or colour you are, you can be and do what ever you want. At 2 years of age, I don't think my daughter understands the underlying message, but because Grace pretends to be various animals, a dancer, and finally Peter Pan, that sold it for her!!
I had to read this EVERY NIGHT for at least 3 months, fortunately its not too long and I enjoyed it too!!
on 21 September 2007
This book is wonderful my daughter loved it. I wish it had been around when I was a kid. The message is simple but powerful. Don't let anyone define you. Great stuff.
on 22 January 2013
A brilliant story with a lovely message about accepting people for who they are. Grace wants to be Peter Pan but is convinced by her class mates that she can't because she is a girl and black. Her grandmother shows her that she can be whatever she wants to be and sure enough she makes a fantastic Peter in the school play. I have used it as a class teacher and have now bought a copy for my niece...
on 14 November 2014
My favourite book as a child, very happy to be revisiting it for my dissertation.
on 13 May 2013
it took a while to be dispatched and for me to be notified, however arrived within reasonable time. The book itself is really good, worth the money. I am happy with the purchase