5.0 out of 5 stars Great story for girls who want to be princesses, 22 Jan. 2008
K. Mather (Gateshead, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Princess Grace (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my four year old daughter who loved "Amazing Grace". She loves this one even more and we read it most nights at her request. Grace, like many real girls I know, loves hearing about fairy tale princesses, but discovers there is more than one way of being pretty in the story, and that real princesses don't just sit around looking beautiful. Great story, great role model, lovely illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful adventure., 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Princess Grace (Paperback)
I purchased this Princess Grace for my God daughter Lucia. The book arrived within 7 days from ordering it and in FANTASTIC condition. I will buy the collection for another young child because the language in the book is appropriate. A beautiful adventurous book with excellent visuals and likeness to children of African Caribbean origin. A MUST buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Princess Grace, 22 Sept. 2009
classic 1965 (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Princess Grace (Hardcover)
This is a terrific book with great pictures and an uplifting story that really engages children.

I bought it after a girl at my 5 year old daughter's school told her that she couldn't be a Princess because she doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes. My daughter - who loves everything to do with Princesses - was devestated and clearly troubled by this. So I went looking for books that illustrated that Princesses come in all shapes and sizes, not just the "Disney" stereotype.

Princess Grace proved to be a big help. It tells the story of a little girl who's worried that she can't be a Princess in her school parade because she doesn't think she looks like a Princess. Her teacher helps by finding stories of Princesses from all over the world who not only look different but are all reknowned for different talents and achievements - not just being pretty and wearing pink!

Not only does my daughter love this book but so do all her friends regardless of their colour. She even took it to school for reading time and it was a big hit with the whole class - including the boys!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Princess Grace (Paperback)
I bought this to read to my 3.5 year old daughter who is starting to show awareness of differences between her and her friends at nursery. Like many girls her age, she is Disney mad and loves anything with a 'usually blonde haired blue-eyed' princess. She was slightly sceptical the first time we read this (you mean there are other types of princesses?) and it was a great opportunity to discuss and praise her differences in a harmless fun way. This is now her favourite book and she constantly tells her friends stories of all the different European, Chinese, Nigerian princesses who have important jobs as spies and ride on horses!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loved this book and has asked me to read it ..., 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Princess Grace (Paperback)
My daughter loved this book and has asked me to read it to her again and again. I like that it gently challenges traditional images of what it means to be a princess/feminine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing!!!, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Princess Grace (Paperback)
A lovely tribute to all princesses around the world!!! My daughter loves this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An African Princess, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Princess Grace (Paperback)
A lovely book with a good message but it wasn't for me and what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Princess Grace (Paperback)
Book condition exceeded my expectation

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book well illustrated, 10 Nov. 2014
Amazing book, very empowering

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Nov. 2014
Bought for others

Princess Grace
Princess Grace by Mary Hoffman (Paperback - 4 Sept. 2008)