Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2009
I've been looking for a quite long time for a book and cd of that nature to make a present for a lovely little english girl. There are not many options that combine french rhymes with english explanations/translations, and seeing comments about this one, I thougt it was a good one.
So OK, it's well illustrated. But apart from that.... the narrator is not a native French at all... Is this Opal Dunn ? I reckon she's got quite a good accent, but there are still weird pronunciations (the usual R not to mention it...) that does not sound right to my native ear. And above all, I know only 20% of the songs that were picked up !! I'm 36 now, and I know plenty of old and new songs, but most of the ones in the CD are not representative of French rhymes at all...
If you want good french rhymes CD ("comptines"), best choice is on amazon FR, some are available as import too but at more expensive costs : 80 Comptines a Mimer and Jeux De Doigts [European Import],French Nursery Rhymes: 60 Comptines Pour Creches for instance, or Agnes Chaumie and Helene Bohy make wonderful songs for kids like Tralalere, "A L'eau!".
on 13 May 2009
I notice that this product got mixed reviews.
Our family enjoyed it for what it is - but it's not exactly what we expected either.
The songs are real French songs which children sing - many are playground rhymes similar to "eeny-meeny-miny-mo" and don't necessarily form the best introduction to French for your child. But it does what it says on the tin and it WILL (after repeated listening) improve your french if not your child's.
For something more didactic try "Le Club Francais - KS2-French-Part 1" which has songs such as "Bonjour! Salut! Ca va!" and some traditional rhymes.
I almost forgot: The book is nicely illustrated and separated into logical sections. The CD is clearly spoken and the first track gives a sort of explanation of the content.
on 14 November 2007
I am having trouble understanding the other reviews on this book and CD, as I found this book unbelievably contrived, with too much talking. There is a french lady who introduces each song, which totally spoils the flow, especially as she has a really fake syrupy way of speaking which is very grating.

I was so annoyed with the CD, I actually threw it away so my children (and others) would never be subjected to listening to it. I never do things like that normally, but I felt very passionately about this! If kids are bored and turned off to French early on, it may be hard work geting them interested again later on, by which time the damage has already been done.

I would recommend either Putumayo French Playground for a lively, contemporary, and really fun introduction to french, or the fantastic 'Songs in French for children' (on Amazon), which is a compilation of traditional nursery rhymes and has a charming Disney-style 1950's era sound.
on 17 September 2010
I live in France and speak English at home. It certainly helped my two young children to access French. It is true that not all the rhymes are common ones, but what joy they have when one of the rhymes does crop up at school and they already know it. Having a book with pictures to illustrate the vocab is very helpful to their comprehension. If you just have it on as background music you'll be surprised how much they pick up. I've learnt from it too. It's all about exposure.
on 10 July 2007
The CD is great for listening to natives speaking French, and for improving pronounciation. My two kids like listening to it. The words are a bit odd and sometimes complicated, they appear to be true French nursery rhymes and songs, rather than ones written specifically for children learning a foreign language - but this makes it stand out a bit from the rest. An English equivalent would be "One potato, two potato..." etc. Clearly spoken and sung words. Overall would definately recomend it.
on 14 February 2013
I thought this would have basic familiar rhymes in french that my young daughter would recognise but it wasn't and so was far too advanced - needs better description or age guide - the picture looked young !
on 22 May 2013
the kids love the cd and sing along in the car without realising its in french, only problem with the book is it could do with better translation not just the odd word or phase.
on 9 January 2016
This beautiful little book was just what I expected and more. There is a CD which plays the music for the nursery rhythms and I'm sure my little grandson is going to love it.
on 20 July 2015
OK - I was keen to sing some basic French songs to my baby/toddler, but this book wasn't particularly engaging and there are a few popular songs that were missed out.
on 18 June 2014
This item was ordered for my daughter, Louise who needed it as she sometimes teaches French voluntarily to children and she found it to be very useful