5.0 out of 5 stars Call me sister
Call Me Sister is the first of Jane Yeadons books I have read despite this being her third book in the series.

From the minute I opened it I couldn't put it down brilliantly written I didnt want to reach the end of the book and have now ordered the previous two books in the series and am eagerly awaiting their delivery.

If you haven't read the...
Published 13 months ago by Nevis

3.0 out of 5 stars A good light read.
Published 4 months ago by jac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Call me sister, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Call Me Sister: District Nursing Tales from the Swinging Sixties (Paperback)

If you haven't read the previous two books buy the set you will kick yourself if you don't!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 23 Dec 2013
I've enjoyed all of the books by Jane Yeadon and found every one entertaining and wonderfully light hearted, but this book is my favourite. I just love it and recommend it to anyone, especially if you are a fan of shows like Call the Midwife or The Royal.Call Me Sister: District Nursing Tales from the Swinging Sixties

3.0 out of 5 stars A good light read., 31 July 2014
As a fellow District nurse (sorry, Sister!) from a similar era - I did my DN training in 1973 - I was interested in what this book had to offer. District nursing in the wilds of Scotland was very different from south London, but the range of 'characters' is the same everywhere. I enjoyed the stories of the patients and also the fellow nurses, though they were a bit disjointed at times.. The sample was entirely set in a hospital so didn't give a true flavour of the book, which I decided to read anyway and wasn't sorry, as I enjoy this kind of book and this one was worth 99p
. The spelling and grammar are good and the book flowed quite well, taking the author from one area to another as she relieved other nurses and just got to know patients before she was off again. I found the training quite short (3 months) in comparison to my own ( a year) but smiled at the memory of making paper bags and boiling syringes and instruments. Disposables came in earlier in Scotland than England unless the author's memory is out a bit or she compresses several years district nursing into one year.
I've bought another book by this author with a degree of trepidation as it doesn't have as many good reviews, but I'll make up my own mind. Recommended as a light read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle, 8 Jan 2014
Loved this story was well written and couldnt put it down, one of the best i have read for a while

5.0 out of 5 stars Call me sister, 7 Jan 2014
A great read really enjoyed it, I have read other books by this author, all of which were good reads, this one was every bit as good, hope there will be more to follow.

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K, 10 Feb 2014
It's O.K. easy reading but doesn't seem to go anywhere! Not a lot seems to happen & when reading I feel as if I am on the outside of the book, never getting into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed '' call me sister'', 22 Sep 2014
Betty Kokholm "B.Kokholm" (denmark) - See all my reviews
Really enjoyed '' call me sister'' .Jane gets better and better at her description of her nursing experiences and with district nursing she was at her best . The kind of nursing which can cut corners for the good of the patient, no political correctness here , so refreshing . You could have been a nurse anywhere in the world if you had chosen so . The last half I read in one reading .

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 12 Aug 2014
Mrs. Jane H. Parker "Curvy Creations" (Paignton Devon England) - See all my reviews
A light hearted story of a Scottish Nurse who wanted to leave hospital to work in the community. Very descriptive writing regarding the individuals and their homes as well as the Scottish countryside. A lot of her story reminded me of my Godmother's stories of being a midwife in Devon at the same period. I have only given it 4 stars because it ended abruptly......

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 5 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book it reminded of my nursing days in the sixties..Jane got it spot on good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars District nurse, 24 Mar 2014
If you were a District Nurse in this era, as I was, it is such a great trip down memory lane. So true to the way life and District Nursing was. Interesting to read that it was exactly the same in Scotland as England. How different today - loads of technology but little of the TLC (tender loving care) we all gave.
Good read.