5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book! The Perfect Christmas Gift
I have bought 5 copies for family and friends so far. I had never heard of The Good Food Guide until I saw this book, and now I have become a member! I was recommended by a friend who had bought the guide and the recipe book to get it for some inspiration for a dinner party I was throwing. It has 60 of the top chefs in and I have already cooked three meals courtesy of...
Published on 19 Nov. 2010 by Foodie27

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't make my mouth water
This is definitely a book for cooks who take themselves very seriously! The recipes all have a fairly extensive list of ingredients and are composed of several items to cook individually in order to compile the finished dish. If you are out to impress guests, then this may be for you, but I do not think the average home cook would find this book appealing. None of the...
Published on 23 Oct. 2011 by Sue C.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely illustrations and nice recipes, 23 Nov. 2011
Alison Towers - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Good Food Guide: Recipes - Great Dishes from the UK's Best Chefs (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely book. I loved the illustrations and enjoyed the long forewords to each recipe. Not your usual recipe book by a long way, so if you are looking for another 1001 recipes then this is not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, 4 Jan. 2012
this is a good book would recomend for home cooks not chefs as some of the recipies i would not put on my menu basi skills with a few twist ie liquid nitrogen

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 15 Nov. 2011
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The `Good Food Guide - Great Dishes' sources restaurant quality recipes from some of the UK's top chefs e.g. Raymond Blanc, Heston Blumenthal and Michel Roux Jr. As such, most of the offerings are more challenging than Jamie Oliver or Nigel Slater's typical fare; however the pay off is in creating such delights as lasagne of dorset crabs and scallops, roasted free-range chicken with soft parmesan polenta and chestnuts, and blood-orange delice with beetroot sorbet and chocolate powder. And I really liked the fact that most of the dishes included recipes for the appropriate sides, salads and garnishes. e.g. tarragon butter, onion rings, stir-fried butternut squash, passion fruit coulis, root-ginger tuiles, and so on.

Probably my favourite section was the desserts chapter, and here some of the most complex dishes (egg surprise served in a hollowed out eggshell, with marinated strawberries, strawberry sorbet and black pepper honeycomb), sit side by side with some of the easiest (zuppa Inglese, and brioche and raspberry pudding).

It's as though every gripe I ever had about cookery books has been addressed in this volume, because the presentation is superb, with a picture of every dish, every chef, and the establishment where the recipe originates. Matt paper and top notch photography only add to the visual appeal. I can't fault this lovely book in any way, and as long as you realise that the majority of the dishes are not for absolute beginners, you won't be disappointed either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food, 24 Mar. 2013
recipe book included a restaurant chef I have visited and is now on Great British Menu.Lovely to have great recipes to show off with.

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful but not appropriate, 5 Jan. 2011
I bought this book for my mother for christmas. When it arrived (quickly and in perfect condition despite weather issues) I was very impressed with the layout and quality of the presentation. A beautiful book and full of useful information. But the down side was the practicality of the recipes. For fancy dinner parties it could be achievable but for home cooking it was not what I was looking for. Have a good look at this book in shops before buying it on line to make sure it is what you want first.

3.0 out of 5 stars cookbooks, 19 Dec. 2010
The books were well illustrated, and contained the recipes that it stated it would. However, I found them to be of minor interest to me, as they were more "fine dining" sort of recipes, involving complicated ingredients. Good for Christmas presents, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 17 Dec. 2010
John P. Hindley (France) - See all my reviews
This book is a great disappointment.I thought it was going to be full of receipes that an average competent cook can achieve. It is'nt. The quality of the paper is very poor. Don't buy it; it is not worth the money.
Peter Hindley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Good Food Guide: Recipes - Great Dishes from the UK's Best Chefs
The Good Food Guide: Recipes - Great Dishes from the UK's Best Chefs by The Good Food Guide (Paperback - 10 Oct. 2011)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available