5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book! The Perfect Christmas Gift
Published on 19 Nov 2010 by Foodie27

3.0 out of 5 stars Coffee table book with complicated recipes
This is a coffee table book, not a real cookbook. The layout is as follows: one page with a picture of the chef and a bit of text about him/her and his/her restaurant, the facing page has one or more pictures of the restaurant itself. The next page gives a recipe and the facing page has a picture of the finished dish. This means one recipe every four pages.
There are...
Published 12 days ago by Babs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book! The Perfect Christmas Gift, 19 Nov 2010
I have bought 5 copies for family and friends so far. I had never heard of The Good Food Guide until I saw this book, and now I have become a member! I was recommended by a friend who had bought the guide and the recipe book to get it for some inspiration for a dinner party I was throwing. It has 60 of the top chefs in and I have already cooked three meals courtesy of Heston (Blumenthal), Gordon (Ramsay)and Angela (Hartnett). It looks lovely in my kitchen which justifies its purchase! I was concerned the recipes would be difficult however it is so well written it makes it a doddle to follow. Couldn't recommend it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sixty of the best!, 28 Nov 2010
I really liked this - there are sixty restaurant recipes, all by top chefs from across the UK. They have clear step-by-step instructions and list the ingredients for each individual part of the dish, so are easy to follow. There is also a short piece on each chef; their philosophies on food, how they got into cooking and so on, which is a nice background to the recipes themselves. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes cooking. The book itself is beautiful (clever Escher inspired design on the cover, lovely pictures inside) so would also make a great gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dine in Style, 15 Dec 2010
This book gives you the opportunity to enjoy high-end restaurant food at home at a fraction of the price you would pay in the restaurants concerned. The written style varies with the establishments but the recipes are generally easy to follow, if some of the techniques are a bit tricky for a run-of-the-mill home cook like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Food Guide, 7 Dec 2010
Well produced book with all those dishes of fame that celebrated restaurants win stars with. Recipes are clear, and illustrations complement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouth-watering reading, 3 Dec 2010
Got this as an early Christmas pressie and really love it. Gorgeous pics, and I've already tried the beetroot soup - a great success, and so many more I can't wait to try out. I'd definitely recommend as a present for foodies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Coffee table book with complicated recipes, 4 Sep 2014
There are rather too many fish and shellfish recipes for my liking. The recipes themselves are mostly rather complicated. Quite often there are several parts which have to be prepared separately and then assembled at the end. This is fine in a professional kitchen, but rather more difficult in a domestic one. Sometimes you could substitute items: for example in the nettle soup [500 g young nettle tops (top 6 leaves only) - a lot of picking] plus 100 g of baby spinach, the nettles could be replaced by more spinach. In other recipes you could just use bought stock rather than making your own as per recipe.
However, it gives you more of an idea of how much work goes into some restaurant dishes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't make my mouth water, 23 Oct 2011
Sue C. (Bucks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Good Food Guide: Recipes - Great Dishes from the UK's Best Chefs (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is definitely a book for cooks who take themselves very seriously! The recipes all have a fairly extensive list of ingredients and are composed of several items to cook individually in order to compile the finished dish. If you are out to impress guests, then this may be for you, but I do not think the average home cook would find this book appealing. None of the recipes really 'grabbed me' and the presentation of the book didn't help - the photos are of a grainy quality and rather gaudy colours which do not flatter the finished dishes. On the plus side, one or two of the dessert recipes were more appealing but would not justify the expense of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, one-off book, 9 Dec 2010
If you can't go to the restaurant, bring the restaurant to you...
I bought this for myself when it came out, and I approve of it so heartily that I am buying another copy to give as a Christmas present. I love cooking and I love eating out, and this book is perfect for me as the recipes are from restaurants I have either eaten in, or dream about eating in! How often do you eat at a restaurant and want to know exactly how they made the dish? This book does this, often with signature dishes which is nice. The recipes are clearly laid out, I haven't had any problems following them. Faves so far: Hake on a bed of warm tomatoes with chorizo crumbs (Chris Bradley's recipe) and sticky toffee pudding (Mary Ann Gilchrist), even though mine didn't look as neat. Haven't plucked up the courage for Heston's recipe yet (nitrogen poached green tea and lime mousse!! legend). I liked the page of background information you get about each of the chefs; it's a great indicator of how much culinary talent there is in this country. Only thing, being a hardback you'll need something to wedge it open when you're cooking as it's a bit hard to keep it open. But it will make a beautiful gift. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY, 19 Aug 2013
I bought this item as a present for a friend who loves fine dining. The book arrived on time, was well packaged and lived up to expectations. Needless to say my friend was delighted with the book. The recipes are not for the faint hearted - if you want down to earth recipes I suggest Delia Smith's cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food, 24 Mar 2013
recipe book included a restaurant chef I have visited and is now on Great British Menu.Lovely to have great recipes to show off with.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Good Food Guide: Recipes - Great Dishes from the UK's Best Chefs
The Good Food Guide: Recipes - Great Dishes from the UK's Best Chefs by The Good Food Guide (Paperback - 10 Oct 2011)
10.30