5.0 out of 5 stars the book you will need
I studied this book, only this book, for one week, and then passed the test on my birthday(a small gift for myself).
Published on 14 Dec 2009 by Ms. Yun Gao

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for 'purpose'!
Published 20 months ago by KA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the book you will need, 14 Dec 2009
Ms. Yun Gao (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in the UK Test, How to Pass the (Which): A study guide to British citizenship with interactive CD-ROM containing practice tests (Paperback)
The language of the book is easy to understand; the questions are very similar to the real test; the CD is good for you to get familar with the pc test; and I will keep the book as a yellowpage, since lots of websites and intformation are still useful.
My experience is, read though the book first, do the test after the each chapter, Then you will understand how to study it. No point to highlight the important parts. Just try to remember as much as you can, and make notes on those you can not remember,

two things for you to know:
1. for the real test, you DO NOT need to write down the answer, as long as you are able to CLICK the right answer. So no need to spend too much time on spelling if you can not remember the exactly words.

2. tho the test itself only takes 5mins (45mins max), the whole process takes more than 2 hours...good luck everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to success!!!!!!!!!, 26 May 2009
I couldnt of succeeded in my citizenship exam without reading this book.

At first I tried to read the 'home office' edition, it was really really complicated ! But,luckily, I came across this book while shopping on Amazon. This extrodnairy book was much better. It was simple, orgainzied and set out in a layout that was easy to remember. The CD-ROM, which was included in the book, was really helpful as it had lots of practice questions. Guess what! Some of them came in the REAL exam. I fortunatly passed the exam at first time with the help of this great book.

Therefore, I greatly recommand this book for everybody who wants pass the 'life in the UK' test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepping for LitUK Test, 30 Dec 2009
Kasey Coff (Warrington, England) - See all my reviews
I used both this and the HO book. I would quibble a bit with some of the wording, and in at least one case there was conflicting information: the text explains how the cabinet ministers are appointed, but in the same paragraph it says 'The Prime Minister appoints cabinet ministers' and 'The Queen appoints cabinet ministers.' I realize the Prime Minister 'picks' them, and the Queen 'affirms' his choices, so I already found the wording to be slightly confusing. But in one test-yourself quiz in the book, the answer to 'Who appoints Cabinet Ministers?' is 'The Prime Minister'; in the other quiz (I believe the one on the CD) the answer is 'The Queen'! But the same awkward wording is found in the HO guide as well, so it could be just a case of someone needing to be more ruthless about copy editing. At any rate, if you are looking for help in passing the test, this will do the trick. I passed first time out, and if I can do it, so can you! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars More practical than the home office version, 29 Jan 2009
S. Parker (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've actually used both this book and the official Home Office guide - the latter being passed onto me by a friend. Was a little concerned that the content may differ (this is one test I don't want to re-sit!) but I found that the Which? version covered exactly the same content with some added benefits such as practice questions at the end of each chapter (lacking from the Home Office version- you have to purchase a separate book!) and the CD rom. And as someone who commutes everyday (perfect study time), the size of the Which? guide was much more convenient - the HO one is a bit bulky and I found I kept leaving it at work!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You should not fail with this book, 9 Jun 2011
Another fantastic comment about this book and CD rom. I purchased and received this book and CD Rom on 28 May 2011.
I studied the book and CD rom "ONLY THIS BOOK AND CD ROM" for 10 days and passed my citizenship test today 09 June 2011.

I was 100% sure of passing the real test after going through the practice test both on the cd rom and the book. It really made the test seem like a piece of cake. I completed the test within 6 minutes and I am quite sure that I had a very high score, atleast 99%.

My advice: read the book but keep prceticing on the CD and the test questions in the book.

Recommendation: The highest I can possibly think of. (Fantastic investment)I'll keep this book and CD Rom forever.

Wish you all the best

LWJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 13 Mar 2010
D. Peters (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I came accross this book while shopping here at amazon, if you read this book and be able to answer the practice test questions in every chapter,then the 10 practice tests correctly, plus the CD-ROM you will surely pass the test. And you know what the CD-Rom practice test is exactly the format of what you are supposed to take at the test center, so you are more confident on the actual test, once you have been practicing on the CD-Rom and have perfected it, you are sure to pass...I just did yesterday...Goodluck!!! Thanks to WHICH!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 14 Oct 2009
Passed first time. The book explain things with simple english and it comes with CD which really helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Marks, 12 Sep 2009
David Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
The complete package. Was able to achieve a good pass thanks to study & repeatedly using interactive tests until my scores were high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended, pass first time, 29 Jan 2009
J. Griffin - See all my reviews
i already had a copy of the homeoffice version; i find the Which? study guide is a helpful text with the added benefit of practice tests included on the CD-Rom, which gives you an indication on how you'll fare in the exam. i passed first time after reading the text in it's entirety, paging dog-ears and self-testing. relax and good luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for 'purpose'!, 3 Nov 2012
Presuming that this book and the whole scheme which this book is a part of have been created to get some money out of Citizenship seekers' pocket, create some public sector (i.e. civil servants)-related jobs and assist most of those who are intending to become naturalised British citizens with improving their knowledge about life in the UK, the book serves its purpose. The ordinary citizenship seeker should also be happy with reading it and passing the exam at the end, especially if they realise that Amazon's price is about 3.00 cheaper than the Home Office Approved Supplier's price!

That said, the Home Office people in charge of approving this book and the proof-readers should be ashamed of their poor performance in relation to this publication. Poor English and woolly structures of some sentences are mind-boggling, especially when one reminds themselves that reading the book is supposed to assist its prospective readers with improving their English.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›