4.0 out of 5 stars inheritance tax problem solved
I bought this book to get more info about a specific inheritance tax query, and found what I needed to know, very clearly explained. The book was also fascinating to dip into for other items of interest, and not at all stuffy or academic. A very accessible read! Of course, the actual figures and allowances go out of date quickly, but for general stuff it was really useful.
Published on 29 Mar 2009 by Writeread

2.0 out of 5 stars A very, very basic guide
Published on 1 Feb 2012 by Gail from Rutland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars inheritance tax problem solved, 29 Mar 2009
This review is from: Tax Handbook 2008/9 ("Which?" Essential Guides) (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars A very, very basic guide, 1 Feb 2012
I bought this book following the good reviews and was very disappointed as I learnt nothing new and it did not answer any of my queries. The book is well written and does provides a basic overview of varying taxes, but is no way in depth enough for my needs, especially in relation to property rental and CGT. As a result I have bought another tax guide by Tax Cafe which is brilliant and far more comprehensive.
If you know anything about tax or filling in a return, this is probably not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 26 Nov 2012
Needed this book to complete my sons tax return. In good condition art a cheap price, so happy with my purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear, very helpful, 30 Aug 2011
gerryg - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not simply an annotation of the tax legislation, this is a very clear guide to related clusters of taxes and allowances that might apply to you in particular circumstances. Alas none of them did.

So impressed I bought Wills and Probate: Hassle-free Expert Advice on Making Your Own Will (Which Essential Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter guide on tax, 29 Aug 2011
Mrs "Love all sorts of books, Eng Lit degree,... (Potterton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is such a handy little book that I have ordered a second copy for my daughter, who is just starting out as self employed!
The book is clear and consise, giving clear explanations of what is allowed, what is not allowed and how to ensure you keep on the straight and narrow.

There are case studies to illustrate and contextualise the rules, and there are very sueful lists of do's and dont's.

Anyone who has any deviation at all from standard tax (PAYE) needs, shoudl ahve a copy of this handy little guide!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful information, 7 Sep 2011
Maggie (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This guide has all the basics about tax for individuals and small businesses. It is obviously something to dip into rather than read right through, but having tested it in a couple of areas, the advice seems to be comprehensive and helpful. My one niggle is that sometimes it can oversimplify to the point of being a bit patronising but that is probably less of a failing than if it was obtuse and difficult to follow, so all in all a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes tax easy, 14 Sep 2011
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the past I have bought the official tax advice from the Inland Revenue but thought this would be a little easier to digest. It most definitely is.

This covers pretty much any tax you may encounter from extra income, holiday property letting, tax credit, PAYE and even tax relief on bikes! It is very comprehensive and very easy to read.

Even for those who consider themselves a tax expert this would likely have something in it you aren't aware of, perhaps even to your benefit.

I got it because I am now renting out a property in the UK and needed to know what I had to do and what I was entitled to claim against tax. It even tells me the forms I need to fill in and send back.

An essential read and, ironically, because it's a book there is no VAT on it!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT MUCH USE TO ME, 24 Mar 2014
IN a nutshell it didn't make doing tax returns any clearer. As a result I gave up looking for a book to help me and got an accountant. I must confess as an avid follower of Which products I was let down by this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Oct 2011
PureSymmetry (london) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A clear concise book, which does exactly what it says on the tin. It not an in depth review of tax strategy but its a great primer and should be viewed as such. If you're just getting into understanding Tax, you'd do well to start here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tax Made Easy, 22 Oct 2011
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tax isn't the easiest thing for most of us to understand. There's so much jargon and double speak that even if we try to read up on it, it's no less murky. Thankfully, the guide from Which helps to demystify some of the main concerns that people might have. The book is well laid out and the text is simple and easy to digest and helps to clarify rules, exceptions and the convoluted terminology that usually makes more sense to accountants.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tax Handbook 2008/9 ("Which?" Essential Guides)
Tax Handbook 2008/9 ("Which?" Essential Guides) by Tony Levene (Paperback - 14 April 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01