5.0 out of 5 stars Good reminders, even if you've done this before
I had this book years ago, when I last bought and sold. This is a totally updated version and was full of useful information. Some of it I already knew, but lots I had known and had forgotten. I will be dipping into this again in the weeks ahead.
Published 19 months ago by Elle

2.0 out of 5 stars Tell me something I don't know...
this book is very basic in detail. It doesn't tell you anything that you can't pick up from the internet, such as make sure your home is not cluttered when selling. It is very basic and is more of an intro to buying and selling. I was looking for something more useful such as copies of letters when putting in offers, how to negotiate a selling price etc. If its basic...
Published on 28 April 2011 by nimble

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reminders, even if you've done this before, 1 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know to make a start, 27 Nov 2012
Richard M. Seel (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This really is a book which explores the ins and outs of buying and selling a house. The pitfalls are highlighted: how to negotiate with an estate agent; how to decide how much your present home is worth; solicitors' costs; how to get a mortgage; how to know whether your proposed purchase is a `good' buy or if the person buying your house is genuine; etc., etc.

The book is clearly written and easy to read. Everything is laid out from beginning to end; all is logical and well thought out. Whether you are a first-time purchaser or someone who has moved several times, there is much to help make it easier and overcome any difficulties. The chapters are well signposted and the index at the end makes it easy for the reader to find out what they want to know. So whether you want to start at the beginning and look at the property market, from how to value a property right through to the day of removal, you will find all this in this book.

It is excellent and I could see nothing which had been omitted. It really is the A.B.C... of buying, selling and moving. I am tempted to say everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask! It won't take out the stress of buying and selling but it surely will make it a lot easier!

Review by Shirleyanne Seel (who used to be a conveyancer).

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to avoid the usual trapfalls, 17 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately as I've seen happen with friends and colleagues, it's all too often a fact that house sales fall through after lots of money exchanging hands, and before contracts are exchanged. In some cases, even after this important step a sale can fall through, so books like this serve to try to shrink that risk to as minimal as possible.

This book covers most of the important steps, working out how much you have to spend, finding a property, associated fees, affordability of repayments, evaluating a good purchase etc..

Whilst extensive, it won't eliminate all the potential risks that can cause a purchase or sale to fall through. However it will likely ensure you cover all the right bases, from negotiating well with estate agents, to ensuring you get all the paperwork done on time and within expectation.

Buying a house is not quick or easy. Even more so when you are either a first time buyer, or somebody with limited funds that has decided buying is money better spent over renting. Being a "Which?" guide also gives it an impartiality you won't get with guides or advice from banks or other parties with a stake in the sale. I thoroughly recommend this, and will be reading it cover to cover when I am serious about purchasing a property.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used to move house in 2013, 5 Dec 2013
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Very helpful book which I used to navigate all the obstacles to our house move in 2013. Easy to read and very informative. Saved me about 50 on the EPC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 12 May 2013
Really helpful. Step by step guide with lots of information and tips. Well worth the money. Don't move home without it!

4.0 out of 5 stars another excellent guide from the people who know..., 17 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst the guide is not the last word in moving house it does feel that they have covered most of their bases. Plenty of useful tips and advice, think I would use it as a practical guide alongside the glossy programmes of Phil,kirsty and sarah on selling houses. A useful purchase - good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good little book. A lot of information is presented in a very small package. All the basics are covered (types of mortgage, acronyms relating to mortgages and fees, etc). I felt the only thing it was really lacking was more information about life/mortgage cover in case you die.

Overall a really great book ideal for anyone interested in getting onto the ladder.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have guide ..., 5 Mar 2013
Karen Baxter (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Buy, Sell & Move House' from Which Publications is a comprehensive guide to the minefiled of buying and selling property. We moved in December 2012 and without this guide we would almost certainly have suffered with higher levels of stress and definitely spent a lot more money. Therefore the Which Guide 'Buy, Sell & Move House' is not only good for your health it is also good for your wallet.

Chapters include:

Facts and Figures; The essentials of moving house plus facts and figures.
Assets, Advisors and Affordibility: Choosing a mortgage, how much, mortgage problems, insurance policies.
Valuing a Property: The market and property prices
Selling Your Home: Getting ready, estate agents, Selling your property yourself, Energy Performance Certificates, the Legal Process, Problems with your sale.
Buying a Property: Needs Vs Wants, location, first time buyer schemes, viewing property, making your offer, surveys.
Managing the Chain: Running the chain
Preparing for Move Day: removals, getting organised and actually moving.
Settling In: paperwork, disputes
Selling and Buying in Scotland
Selling and Buying in Northern Ireland and Ireland

So to sum up ... an affordable guide that is a must have if you are planning to move.

4.0 out of 5 stars breaks it down into the simple essentials, 15 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a first time buyer I have felt very unsettled when pondering what needs to be done in order to "get everything done" without missing something important out.

This book is quite simple and contains lots of information for both buying and selling, and the essential questions you need to consider when dealing with solictors and estate agents in an accesible format.

Having shown this to a family member who isn't a first time buyer I got the response "oh all this is VERY basic and obvious".
In other words idiot proof I guess - which suits me fine. I'd rather have information simplified and put into lists as demonstrated by this book than reams of technical stuff that I do not understand very well.

Overall a helpful guide I think especially if you are inexperienced like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with information and tips., 13 Nov 2012
Four Violets (Hertford UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Moving house is a stressful experience that few can enjoy, there are so many potential pitfalls and so much to remember. Many of us buy several properties over our lifetimes; but as the purchases tend to be spaced out over years, each time feels like the first, we forget how the process works and what stages we need to go through. That's what makes this book so useful and invaluable, it's great for anyone not just first time buyers. I found it impressively thorough and I'm going to give it to my daughter who is hoping to get on the property ladder soon-ish. She can lend it back to me next time I move!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Buy, Sell and Move House (Which Essential Guides)
Buy, Sell and Move House (Which Essential Guides) by Kate Faulkner (Paperback - 15 May 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01