5.0 out of 5 stars Parenting is Child play
Published on 11 Oct 2010 by Babo

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless
I found this book completely useless. I started reading several chapters, but it didn't find anything interesting and just didn't continue. In my opinion, no more useful than a magazine. Probably it is a matter of taste as well, but definitely I disagree with the total 5 star rating of it.
Published 4 months ago by Maria Doubanaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Parenting is Child play, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Parenting is Child's Play: How to Give Your Child the Best Start in Life - and Have Fun Doing it (Paperback)
I found this book extremely helpful, I am a mother of two girls, a toddler and 8 month old, this book covers right up to school age,it gives practical and helpful information on how to deal with tricky and ordinary day to day issue in the life of young children, David Coleman has a very practical and loving approach to dealing with children, already I have used some of his tips with fantastic outcome. I would reccommend this book to all parents of young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it:), 28 Nov 2011
I have a two year old and have found this book to be my bible and assurance at each developmental stage. It is easy to read and very practical. Most importantly it deals with children in a human and gentle way - would highly recommend it:)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read no other book about parenting, read this one., 14 Aug 2013
I am a father of four young girls and have read a few books about parenting over the past few years. I have also watched my fair share of parenting programmes as well. This book beats them all. It doesn't give you the secret key to making children do what you want. In fact, if anything, it argues passionately for the opposite - not so much allowing kids to do what they want; rather, it seeks to open your mind as a parent to the possibilities and opportunities that exist for a fantastic relationship with your children if you do two things (a) allow them to lead the development of your relationship amd (b) engage with them, and acknowledge them, authentically. This may seem like a cliché, but I do wish that this book had been available when our eldest was born. Any regret I may have at this thought, however, is completely assuaged by the author's complete and utter honesty about his own mistakes. He recounts them in a refreshingly human way that both humbles and uplifts, and this gives the book its edge over the other books and programmes. As a psychologist, you would assume that he knows what he is talking about. (And he does!) But it is his humanity as a father that ties the book together. A lot of what he says may make for uncomfortable reading - for example on time out or feeding - it certainly did for me. But in modelling an open, self-deprecating tone throughout the book, he manages to minimise any sense of threat that could arise from this discomfort, and thus facilitates the reader in approaching his suggestions with as open a mind as possible. I have changed the way I engage with my children as a direct result of reading this book, and I can honestly say that I am already seeing positive results. To the author, I say most sincerely, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for parents who want to be supportive parents to their children, 3 Nov 2014
This book is brilliant for anyone who believes that babies and children should be treated with respect. It really helps to normalise the idea that ALL CHILDREN ARE INDIVIDUALS and don't necessarily subscribe to a timetable of development. This is very reassuring to read as a first time parent. There are plenty of tips and lots of information about the stages of development. It's nicely laid out and very well written. David Coleman is a well respected psychologist as opposed to some other authors who write books about raising children with little or no qualifications to do so. In some cases, without having ever been a parent themselves (I'm looking at you, Gina Ford!)
Thank you David for writing this very helpful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read!, 8 Feb 2014
Very good read, clear and quite concise. Well written and realistic. Would recommend to others. Points explained well. Author well renowned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Feb 2014
This is a great book. Full of practical and no nonsense common sense! A great resource when issues come up with the kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 2 Sep 2013
I'm finding this book informative and easy to read. David coleman empowers and reaffirms rather than criticises different parenting styles.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN IDEAL BOOK FOR EXPECTANT OR NEW PARENTS, 9 Jun 2013
After I read this, I wished someone had either bought for me when my boys were younger, or had made it one of the gifts they brought...parenting - as they say - does not come with a handbook, but this is pretty much that handbook!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 21 Feb 2013
Very good practical advice about dealing with toddlers. More about how to manage yourself giving you tools to deal with tricky situations especially tantrums

5.0 out of 5 stars excellant, 29 Dec 2012
brilliant book- i love it. it stays beside my bed and i read it every so often. i really like his way. it would be my way of parenting. whatever is easiest on the baby. my baby is only 17 months so i have lots more use to get out of it yet