5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 7 Dec 2010
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Face to Face: Ocean Portraits (Hardcover)
Many years ago, when I got my very first SLR camera, I immediately began entering all sorts of photography competitions. One UK magazine ran a series of these with a different theme each month. Whilst I may have entered most of them (and came nowhere!), I always studied the winning entries to see what it was that made a good photo. Whereas I learned a lot from those ventures, very few of the winning photographs have remained in my mind. One that did, however, was an excellent portrait of an elderly man. I can see his craggy features even now. When this book arrived on my desk, I was immediately reminded of that photograph - because the cover portrait on this product is so very similar.

The overall theme for the content of this product is "Ocean Portraits" and that theme has been interpreted as widely as possible. Images include the ancient as well as the modern. The portrait of an eye of a humpback whale is preceded by a sailor from 1917 and followed by a montage of 16 images which include shoaling barracuda, a windsurfer, a deep-sea diver in hard hat and the crew of the submarine Resurgam in 1879.

I particularly like the image of the US sailing ship `Granite State' aground on the Runnelstone (UK) in 1877 complete with seven well-dressed Victorian adults and three children viewing the wreck from nearby cliffs. Elsewhere, and by complete contrast, one can almost feel the excitement of the crew of a racing yacht fighting the elements to recover a sail whilst underway.

I am often accused of being very harsh with my reviews and, perhaps occasionally, I am. Nothing, however, gives me greater pleasure than to publish a glowing assessment of any book complete with a full 5 Star rating and yet this book is worth so much more.

This book is a delight. This book is a pleasure to hold and study. This book will show all photographers the way forward and gives us all the impetus to improve our skills. This book is a triumph on all fronts. This book will be studied time and again and will always provide the reader with yet something new that was not noticed before.

In a word, this book is `Outstanding!'

If you are truly hunting for an excellent present for the photographer in your life - here it is!

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Face to Face: Ocean Portraits (Hardcover)
Beautiful photos and interesting facts to go with them - a great book for those interested in anything to do with the sea

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Face to Face: Ocean Portraits (Hardcover)
The second book of this series I have. Polar Portraits before this was exciting, this is better, I'm in it, plus our Old Lifeboat Coxswain, Henry Blogg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 27 Jan 2014
D. Lambert (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Face to Face: Ocean Portraits (Hardcover)
If you love stunning photographs you will find them here, wrapped around salt of the earth situations and people who have lived their lives drawn to the sea. The characters are taken from the nineteenth century to the current day. All this incredible content, sandwiched between the foreword, written by ' One of Britain's finest yachtsmen, and the first man to sail non-stop and alone around the world', Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, and the afterword written by Deborah Cramer, 'Author of "Great Waters: An Atlantic Passage" and "Smithsonian Ocean: Our Water, Our World,"' who is also a visiting scholar at MIT's Earth System Initiative. What more of the sea and its incessant energy could you desire.

Face to Face: Ocean Portraits
Face to Face: Ocean Portraits by Huw Lewis-Jones (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2010)