‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best beginners yoga book I've come across, 10 Sep 2003
Padmagita (Walthamstow, London) - See all my reviews
Too many books covering all aspects of yoga are just too wordy for beginners. This book introduces all aspects with the right balance of simplicity and depth. It is well illustrated with photographs. The instructions for the asanas/yoga postures are simple and easy to follow with extra tips available coded symbols in insert boxes to make the reading easy. There are a few sequences suggested and illustrated and a chapter on yoga for couple which I haven't seen before.
I highly recommend this book to beginners and people who have been doing yoga for a while but would like some more inspiration and support for their home practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book for beginner and teacher alike, 25 Mar 2001
By A Customer
There are many good books on yoga nowadays, some are visually excellent while others are more text oriented."Yoga for You" offers the best of both worlds. Visually, it is beautifully designed and easy to use with clear, informative step by step photos of each stage of a pose demonstrated with inspiring grace and accuracy by yoga practitioners rather than models so that you get a real sense of being in a posture.
The instructions are also clear and helpful, with good precautionary advice and suggestions on how to modify poses, as well as possible benefits of each pose at different levels. What is more, the book contains extremely well written introductory chapters which offer an overview of the history, philosophy and different styles of yoga, together with advice on how to go about choosing a teacher, the relationship of diet and yoga, a glimpse at the subtle energy level of practice with appropriate mention of chakras and simple pranayama exercises. There are also chapters on meditation techniques and working with a partner.
The book benefits greatly from the author's eclectic style, she has worked with many different styles of practice and has managed to draw together in an open minded and practical way, elements from each which she shares with great enthusiasm with her readers. A very helpful book for beginner and teacher alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Jun 2006
S. Butler "Daisy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I would definitely recommend this book for beginners. The instructions for the postures are really easy to grasp and the layout is fantastic with lovely photographs. There is also a section that guides the student through a yoga course with a sequence of postures, which I found very helpful as it gave my practice structure.
I found the section on pranayama very helpful, this is the part of Yoga that I have found most difficult but the exercises in `Yoga for you' were simple and very well explained.
`Yoga for you' also offers healthy diet tips and information and a section on yoga postures that help various health complaints.
I loved this book, and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 12 Mar 2006
You really can practice yoga at home with this book.
I would recommend it to anyone wanting to take the next stage and practise on your at home as well as attending a class. The sequences are really easy to follow with different sequences depending on the time of day (morning or evening) and degree of difficulty depending on how hard you want to work (gentle or strong).
Ten out of ten, or in this case, 5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: Yoga for You (Healthy Living): A Step-by-step Guide to Yoga at Home for Everybody (Paperback)
I bought this book a year ago and loved it, I was a beginner and wanted some step by step guidance, the pictures are very clear and explain exactly how to do the pose. There are also tips on how to make the pose easier if you are a beginner and how to make the pose stronger for those who are not. At the end of the book there are some sequences of about 30 minutes each to guide. I enjoy using these and also making up my own. My mum who has been doing yoga for a long time liked the book so much, I bought her a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I needed!, 11 Oct 2011
I'm attending a very good yoga class once a week, but if I'm going to progress I need to practise between classes. I need a guide book as well as my DVDs but many of them assume expertise and existing high ability. This book is just perfect, much better than others I've had from the library or skim read in bookshops. It's very clear, with extra guidance for modified or extended poses so that you can work at your own level. There's a simple introduction to the wider belief system; to meditation; to breath ..... I couldn't have wished for better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teaching book with pictorials, 3 Oct 2011
Mr. Philip A. Chadwin (UK) - See all my reviews
First rate easy lessons with pictures. Easy for both experienced and beginner yoga students. I am a total beginner to Yoga, but my wife has been practicing for 20years and we both rate this book as excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Bible, 2 Aug 2011
I bought this book on the strength of the good reviews and have not been disappointed. I haven't been doing Yoga long and was keen to have a go on my own, having been to a few classes. The book explains the roots, history and spiritual elements of yoga clearly. As other reviewers have said the photos are clear and there are lots of useful tips for making the positions easier or more challenging. There is also a section that lays out several sequences of positions, which I found very useful as a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 2 Jun 2009
S. Mandalay (Soeborg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This is a superb book for anyone who is considering doing Yoga at home - great illustrations and descriptions.

I would say, though, that it does seem to be for the more advanced yoga-people - not for beginners really... Unless you are seriously into yoga, that is....
I'm heading back to the gym for my yoga - maybe I'll pick this up again after a few times :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga For You, 22 Jun 2011
I'm very pleased with this book and am happy to recommend it. It's ideal if like me you have been to a yoga class and just need reminders of the poses, and gives lots of information at a practical level. The suggested sequences are particularly good, I searched many books looking for the Sun Salutation, but this gives a few more besides. It also includes the Hero pose, as an alternative to the lotus for meditation - again unlike many other yoga books. The tone of the book is just right, not too deep & philosophical while giving more information than the more basic books. The photos are very helpful and instructions are realistic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›