5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic easy recipes
I love this book, it's become my low carb bible.

It's British, so there's none of the mystery ingredients that usually appear in low carb recipes. Every ingredient is a store cupboard basic in the UK.

Published on 23 Feb 2008 by Rosey Lea

3.0 out of 5 stars Low Carb AND Low Fat
Good Points:
(a) There are some nice pictures
(b) Many of the recipes serve 2 so are easy to divide or multiply
(c) There are quite a few recipes with only a few ingredients
(d) At the end of each recipe it tells you how much carbohydrate is in each serving
(e) The spine is a ring-binder so the book lies flat when open

Bad Points:...
Published on 16 May 2009 by M. Hinchliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic easy recipes, 23 Feb 2008
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Big Book of Low-Carb Recipes: 365 Fast and Fabulous Dishes for Every Low-Carb Lifestyle (Paperback)
I love this book, it's become my low carb bible.

The recipes are so clear and easy to follow, these really are recipes you can knock up for tea without too much thought, and with no need to use every kitchen gadget you own.

Fabulous tasting food, easy recipes, and very little washing up. I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Book of Low-Carb Recipes: 365 Fast and Fabulous Dishes for Every Low-Carb Lifestyle, 14 Feb 2009
This cookbook is superb! The recipes are exciting and the ingredients easy to find. We looked into low carb as part of an overall diet management lifestyle but I must say that this book has us totally converted. For anyone looking for simple, low carb. meal options but doesn't know where to start - you couldn't make a better start than this. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Easy, 31 Oct 2008
Bluegate (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Newly diagnosed with diabetes, I was looking for some help counting carbs to offset my medication. I'm a real foodie with a passion for cooking (and eating!)so I was really disappointed when the 3 or 4 other books I had ordered were all American based with cup measurements and ingredients I hadn't heard of.

I ordered this (used) book from Amazon and I haven't looked back. It's clear, concise, easy to follow and full of useful everyday recipes.

It offers recipes for breakfast drinks, hot breakfast, cold breakfast, soups, fish, shellfish, meat, poultry, side dishes and vegetarian, as well as desserts!!

I'm always a bit dubious about reviewers who say things like "my bible" but this has really given me a great basis for planning my weekly menus.

Brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Brilliant Low Carb Cook Book Ever!, 4 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This book is without doubt the very best. Who needs carbs when you can cook meals like this!. My family love these recipes. There are recipes for light meals, snacks, main meals, vegetarian and fish dishes and many more. If you like your food to be tasty, with plenty of flavours, herbs and spices then this is the book for you. We have all lost lbs using these recipes. I have bought copies of this book for many friends across the generations and they all agree this is one of the best cook books ever. Eating out is now less exciting, I prefer these recipes!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Low Carb AND Low Fat, 16 May 2009
M. Hinchliffe - See all my reviews
Good Points:
(a) There are some nice pictures
(b) Many of the recipes serve 2 so are easy to divide or multiply
(c) There are quite a few recipes with only a few ingredients
(e) The spine is a ring-binder so the book lies flat when open

Bad Points:
(a) It should say it's low fat as well as low carb
(b) Only one picture about every 10 recipes
(c) Includes so-called "good" carbs, when they all affect insulin levels
(d) Includes supposedly healthy foods like vegetable oils, soya products and fructose (as a replacement for sucrose)
(e) Some of the cooking is not that practical, such as heating up the oven at breakfast just to cook two mushrooms (or in my case one, as I would be halving the recipe).

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of choice & variety, 24 Nov 2010
I follow a low carb diet fairly well - but am not as strict as I was in the past. So when a low carb cookbook grabs my attention I tend to buy it, as it states there are 365 recipes so I figured there was bound to be plenty of recipes with new ideas in this cookbook.

Breakfast: The usual with low carb cookbooks lots of eggs in lots of recipes. The recipes I found great are souffle berry omelette, low carb muesli, chocolate soya drink, raspberry oat crunch, berry scrunch, cool dogs. So as you can see there are plenty of recipes to use with no eggs - which is great.

Soups: Plenty of recipes.

Salads: Again, plenty of salad recipes to choose from. Loads of ideas too.

Snacks & Light Meals: Loads of recipes, none that I particularly fancied cooking however, but thats personal preference and Im sure it would appeal to others.

Main Meals: I found it strange that many of the meals stated serve with brown rice - which is a carb (I am aware it is a low carb)! but it is not recommended in the early stages of a no carb diet! But there are some lovely meat recipes. The alternative to potatoes is celeriac mash.

Poultry: Lots of the recipes state serving with celeriac mash, which I personally think is a disappointing alternative to carbs such as potatoes. Again, lovely recipes though, such as spiced chicken & lemon kebabs, turkey & mango stir fry.

Fish: Fab recipes.

A lovely vegetarian section and I find this section useful if looking for an accompanying dish to some of the main meals.

Desserts: Peach crumble was the only dessert that I liked, a lot of them would not satisfy my sweet tooth.

This is a really good low carb cookbook for those looking to follow a low carb lifestyle. It is also good for those following a low carb diet looking for new recipes and ideas. There are so many recipes in this book that there would be surely a few that someone would like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous cookbook!, 31 Jan 2010
Amanda (London, England) - See all my reviews
A great low carb cook book. Recipes appetising and easy to do. Spiral bound nature of book makes it easy to use, and it's well-illustrated. Nutritional values are given for each recipe. Many low carb cook books are over heavy on the cream, cheese etc. This one is more mediterranean in style, using olive oil rather than butter and cream. Cookbook contains snacks, breakfasts, light meals as well as fuller meal recipes.

I hope this book becomes available again as I would like to get it as a present for friends and family, whether low carbing or not

5.0 out of 5 stars SImply the best cook book I've seen in this category, 13 Mar 2009
Mr. M. Rothwell (London, Englad) - See all my reviews
Firstly, this review is from the point of view of an Englishman (because that's what I am). I've bought a couple of books with low carb recipes before and found they suffer from having being written for the American market. I've always found that the slight difference in available ingredients really effect the out come of the meal. I think because you're cooking recipes that are finding different ways of doing normal things (finding sweetness from things other than sugar and so on), you tend to get disproportionately bad results from deviating slightly from the recipe.

But this book is brilliant, no failures from any of the recipes I've tried - and I've got through a few now. Even the baking and deserts (which has always been the weak point in low carb books in my experience) are good ones. All the ingredients are widely available, there's no special food that needs to be ordered or even bought from a health food shop.

To sum up, great food that tastes good when made. And a huge variety of meals.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 18 Jun 2013
I bought this after looking for an 'everyday recipe book' but have to say a lot of the recipes are neither fast nor fabulous

3.0 out of 5 stars Not going to be a bible for me, 1 Sep 2013
I think this book suffers from lack of pictures to inspire/help you spot the appropriate recipes, and also from the fact that the pictures that ARE there, annoyingly are not captioned with the recipe name. Also, I'm wondering how up to date the premise of the book is, as it's based firmly on GI and not GL, which is, I understand, a more accurate and a useful measure for diabetics, and in fact, everybody who's on health watch.

ARRAY(0xafaa0d50)