5.0 out of 5 stars Never go hungry again
What a fantastic book if you have kids.
Published on 10 Dec. 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little misleading
This was a panic purchase at a time when our LO started to reject everything but puree and marmite fingers. By the time it turned up (about 3 weeks after ordering - DHL sent to wrong country!) he'd started eating again.

Having said that, there are some good recipes in here. And they are varied, so it introduces your kids to all sorts of foods...
Published on 22 May 2012 by Charles Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Never go hungry again, 10 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Big Book of Recipes for Babies, Toddlers & Children, 365 Quick, Easy and Healthy Dishes: From First Foods to Starting School (The Big Book Series) (Paperback)
What a fantastic book if you have kids.
Being a busy mum of two under 4 I always struggled what to cook them for dinner, many a time I would end up cooking two dinners one for my kids and one for me and my husband, now I have this book I just cook for everyone as the recipes are easily adapted for adults too. I just wish this book had of been out when my two kids were babies as there are lots of interesting and exciting things for them to eat. Some of the recipes are really simple and your little ones can help you cook too. 10/10 for this book

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a much better alternative to Annabel Karmel., 18 Nov. 2004
Heather (Teddington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
At last a really well-written, easy to read book on child nutrition with excellent and realistic recipes. And it is written by real experts. Unlike Annabel Karmel who purports to be an expert, the two female authors of this book are not only mothers but paediatric dieticians. They know more than simple nutrition, they know the physiology and psychology of babies and children as they relate to food and they explain it in a simple, informative and non-patronising way. But most of all, the book is crammed full of great recipes for all ages. No need to buy several books for different ages, it's all in this one - from babies to school kids, from lunchboxes to parties.
My children are now 5 and 3 and I have only just found this book. I wish I had found it when they were babies. The two female authors write so reassuringly about the stages of a baby/child's learning that you feel like you have got two friends on your side who are holding your hand through what can be a daunting process. They really explain WHY a child behaves as they do and how you can best teach your child to enjoy food. They also cut through the fact and fiction about healthy eating and explain what is and isn't good for your child. All this stuff about LCP's and iron absorption -it's actually quite straightforward!
Part 1 of the book talks all about nutrition and how to put together a healthy diet for your child. It's not long, and it's not patronising. They talk about healthy eating, food combining and essential nutrients. They cover 'coping with feeding problems' and 'managing allergies and intolerances' but for me, the best bit is the advice about sensible shopping and how to read those labels.
The book then moves on guide you through the different stages of your child learning to eat from when he begins solids to when he goes through that delightful self-feeding stage! The recipes in these bits are good but probably nothing you haven't come across before. What is really good, though, is the explanation of how to engender a positive attitude towards eating and the essential do's and don't's of feeding your child.
Finally, the book gives absolutely loads of great recipes for 3 years and upwards covering breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as snacks and drinks. There are even ideas for nutritious party food and recipes that you can cook with your child.
Now that that my family is through that avocado and banana mush stage, it is the daily grind of school lunchboxes and appetising dinners that I was in need of inspiration for.
As the title says, there are 365 recipes and they all seem to be quite straightforward and, well, tasty. OK, there are a few more outlandish suggestions like teriyaki orange salmon parcels and tofu stir-fry but mostly they are just hundreds of different ways of preparing the basic foods and flavours that most kids like. (And besides, the outlandish ones are good ideas for dinner parties!)
For example, my kids love the chicken nuggets and homemade chips and these are so easy to make and far more healthy and tasty than the shop bought variety. This book teaches you that using oil and fat in your cooking is OK because you use far less than is in the shop bought stuff and it is the right kind of fat. Kids actually need a high fat diet (unlike most adults!) so it is OK to use oil and make stuff crispy and then add a bit of salt because, let's face it, that's what makes it taste nice! Hurray, they actually give recipes that taste nice to kids.
And my daughter's lunchboxes have perked up enormously since I started making the recipes for potted chicken spread and salmon and prawn spread, pitta bread crisps and, believe it or not, SALADS like chicken noodle salad and tuna pasta salad.
And as for the puddings - mine only ever got yoghurt or fruit before. I thought puddings were bad for them. But, as the book explains, puddings give you a second chance to get healthy things into them like eggs, milk, fruit, and cereals.
Every single recipe is marked with symbols so you can see if it is high in a certain nutrieint or if it is suitable for vegetarian, wheat, gluten, dairy, egg and nut-free diets.
The reason I would recommend this book so highly is because it gives you all the information you need about feeding your child, at all ages, in just one book. It is concise and to the point and then gives just heaps and heaps of good recipes. This book really does what it says on the can - there are 365 recipes and it will take you more than a year to try them all out so you and your kids will not get bored of the same things time after time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply brilliant book!, 14 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
I can't praise this book highly enough! It's very well laid out and even the pages are tough enough to be wiped down easily. I have tried loads of the recipes already with my own toddler and have recommended it to all the parents in the nursery where I work. I was amazed to find how easy it is to mske root vegetables into a fun and nutritious meal. My son's favourite is Toddler's tortilla but I have yet to try any recipe that he won't eat! A real find!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!!, 1 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
It will probably live on my counter rather than book shelf like all my other cook books! I've only had it a few days & have made about 5 different things from it already & marked most of the pages I want to try out! Pretty straight forward meals, snacks, breakfasts etc with supermarket ingredients (nothing too fancy you wont be able to get hold of). Great breakfast ideas I want to try as son doesnt seem to like eating in the morning. I love Annabel Karmel books, but i think this one tops them! Love the way the book can be opened on the page & stay there too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and thoroughly useful, 4 Sept. 2008
S. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I feel compelled to comment about this excellent recipe book aimed specifically at babies, toddlers and children. It is the best book of its kind out there and has been an absolute lifesaver. My 1 year old doesn't like food much... in fact he only started eating at 9 months. I tried all sorts of food, bought and otherwise. Quite simply, the most success I have had is with recipes from this book. I currently have one in the oven and one on the stove as I'm typing. I really love the format too. Much more useful than the Annabel Karmel books and a must have for all mums (and dads!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, 31 Jan. 2006
If you only ever buy one cook book in your life - make it this one! Regardless of the fact it's based on the needs of children, it's a fabulous all rounder for the whole family. Simple and easy to use, great ideas and full of nutricious tips. I've seen other "baby" meal planner books and they don't even come close to this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU WANT A KID THAT EATS ANYTHING, YOU MUST HAVE THIS BOOK!!!, 4 July 2009
E. Stewart - See all my reviews
I can comment on this book, having owned it for 3+ years and am now using it on third child!! IT IS GREAT. DO NOT LOOK ELSEWHERE!! It totally holds your hand through every stage of the weaning process. My kids are SUPERB eaters. There is nothing they will not eat (wish the same could be said for me and my even fussier husband!!). The recipes are easy - both in technique and sourcing ingredients, they are balanced and healthy, they advise on storage/freezing so you can batch bake & store if you want. Weaning is a tough game, you will have good days and bad but this book will encourage and motivate you through with fantastic results. People often congratulate me on bringing up kids that eat so well. It's not in their heritage though, it is totally down to this book... THANK YOU!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, will last you from weaning to lunchboxes, 16 Jan. 2009
MK (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great book, I have made loads of the recipes, in fact I have made the banana bread recipe probably about fifty times. My copy has been splodged on, ripped by enthusiastic toddlers and it's still going strong. We all eat the meals made from it. It gave me inspiration when I was an exhausted mum feeling overwhelmed by weaning. My kids loved the various mashes. The only one I couldn't make work was first chocolate pudding, which never set for me, probably the exhaustion kicking in!

I tried annabel karmel, but i was put off by some of the weird food she suggested, all seeming to involve boiled fish or chicken livers.

If you are thinking about buying this, do, you will definitely get your money's worth. There is a recipe for sweetcorn chowder I think, which has bacon in it, which is absolutely delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 13 Feb. 2011
Am really pleased I bought this great little (or should I say big) book!
As a busy mum to my 3yr old son, making him nutritious fresh meals is important to me and for some reason I would find it hard to come up with different ideas for lunches/dinners etc and didn't want to resort to quick, convenient alternatives from the supermarket. Anyway after finding this book on Amazon and reading the favourable reviews I decided to get this and so far have been delighted!
The book is separated into ages and has sections for Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and snacks along with a meal planning section.
I particularly like the fact it tells you if a recipe freezes well or how long it will typically keep as I like to make ahead and freeze some dishes, so this is very useful.
If you have kids and need some ideas I'd say get it as I'm sure it will get plenty of use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best children's recipe book I've come across, 4 Aug. 2009
I bought this book when my little boy had already passed the weaning stage, unfortunately, as I would have loved to have had it at hand when trying to come up with interesting purees for him to try! Nevertheless, I have found many recipes that both he and our whole family have enjoyed. I particularly liked the authors' guidelines for how to get around fussy eaters - or how to ignore fussy eating, not make a big deal out of it, and to encourage children for the food they DO eat :) Very practical advice, with a wide range of recipes, from veggie to carnivorous.

Cannot recommend this book highly enough. Other baby and toddler recipe books just can't compare, in my opinion, to this very simple, direct and practical book filled with recipes that the entire family - big and small members alike - will enjoy.

Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available