Published on 31 May 2010 by Tracey Couchman

3.0 out of 5 stars Okish book
Had to buy it as was asked at Uni, I don't think that is a bad book to be honest, didn't finish it though.
Published 10 months ago by AAD

5.0 out of 5 stars Bewarned, it's an extended version of 'How To Think Like A Programmer: Problem-solving for the Bewildered', 31 May 2010
This review is from: How to Think Like a Programmer: Program Design Solutions For The Bewildered (Paperback)
Having purchased and enjoyed 'How To Think Like A Programmer: Problem-solving for the Bewildered' by Paul Vickers I purchased this book thinking it was a different book completely which I think would be a fair assumption to make seeing as Amazon are offering an reduced price if you buy both books. What it actually is, in fact, is an extended version of 'Problem solving for the Bewildered'.

The book itself is great, I match all the critera listed for whom the book is intended. I have being trying to learn Java, as both part of a uni course and now as a personal mission in my own time, and although I understood the syntax etc I couldn't quite get a grasp on the reasoning behind some of the logic and why programs are contructed the way that they are. This book explains all.

I recommend that if you are new to programming you would be wise to read this book first and then you will have a greater understanding of the logic behind programming which makes it easier to learn and apply a language to it.

I don't recommend that you buy both books, you'll be wasting your money, just buy this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 31 May 2009
Mr. Z "dureza" (Agueda, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This book is, perhaps the best that I read about this topic. This is easy to read and simple to understand! I'm a computer science teacher and I use the book in my classes. Thank you Paul for your excelent work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really for the bewildered, 4 July 2013
Excellent book if you find programming difficult! Really gives you a framework for working/solving problems and teaches you the very important pseudo-code. I recommend this book to everyone programming, the content of this book should be the beginning of every computer science class!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book -- I just wish there was an electronic copy!, 14 Aug 2012
UPDATE 07/12/12: My prior criticism of this book has been addressed by the author, so it's a full FIVE STARS for this little gem. The book that is, not the author (but I'm sure he's delightful)

This is an excellently written book that is conversational and straightforward without feeling dumbed down. The exercises are fun and allow for excellent memory retention and its length is not daunting, but certainly thorough in content. However, I really wish there was an eBook version available! It's a fair old lump to carry around all the time, and I'd love to have it saved to the HDD on my laptop for easy access wherever I am. Please Mr Vickers and/or Cengage, release an electronic version, and I swear I'll stick an extra star onto this review!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently written, 1 Oct 2010
Im studying Computer Systems and Networking and this book not only gets you thinking about how to solve problems within languages like Java but also real world situations. It applies programming problems to problems you have everyday to fully explain how to actively think to solve it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okish book, 8 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Web Technology student, 22 Feb 2013
love this book!! It is very helpful! I'm a complete beginner and this book help me to think like a programmer!

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 30 Oct 2012
I found this book very useful as it was easy to understand, the way the author explained everything was good. No problems with delivery came within a few days book in very good condition.

How to Think Like a Programmer: Program Design Solutions For The Bewildered