5.0 out of 5 stars The very best introduction to the ancient art of yoga., 21 April 2001
This review is from: How to Use Yoga (Paperback)
An extremely well written and easy to use beginners book on yoga. Covers all the basics, from the asanas (and how to do them properly, with full step by step illustrations of how to do them), through a 10 week beginners course, right up to Pranayama (yogic breath control) and pratyahara (meditation). extremely well recommended for all beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - an excellent home-study yoga book, 16 Nov 1999
By A Customer
An excellent home-study yoga book!
This Iyengar yoga book focuses on postures (asanas and includes a ten-week course, outlining asanas for every day of the ten weeks.
The yoga itself is easy to do, since you can support yourself with various accessories such as pillows and blankets until strong and flexible enough to do without them.
Each posture is described in words as well as full colour photos, and the programmes are illustrated with minature pictures of the postures required - a very useful aide-memoire, I thought.
It's a nice, big book, full of information. Among my favourites!

4.0 out of 5 stars step by step instructions into each pose and 10 week Course, 9 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Lovely photos and step by step instructions for each pose. Shows how to adapt poses for different abilities using chiars, tables and cushions.
Includes a 10 week course to follow with pictures and teaching points.
Also has a section on medical conditions with clear photos andgood instructions.
Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to use Yoga, 16 Sep 2011
M. L. Swift (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Use Yoga: A Step-by-step Guide to the Iyengar Method of Yoga, for Relaxation, Health and Well-being (Paperback)
An excellent book for beginners. The pictures are very clear and there are more gentle options givens in all poses, so you can go as far into the pose as you wish. It is written in a clear style which is understandable to all and just gives the basics of a yoga practice. At the end of the book are sequences of poses for a week at a time so you can gradually increase the time and range of movements. If you buy this book and are not quite sure if yoga is for you, I think it will help you enormously to realise that yoga is actually for anyone and can only benefit. I started yoga just a few months ago at a 'senior' age because I wanted to keep mobile and flexible for as long as possible. Already I can see and feel the difference. This book helps you at home as an 'aide memoir' in between classes with your teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensible aid to practising Yoga, 10 May 2010
Mrs. DJ Flower (Spain) - See all my reviews
A very clear and attractive illustrated aid to yoga practise, describing numerous poses and also suggesting daily routines and help to alleviate a variety of problems. It also suggests simpler variations, should a pose be difficult to begin with.

As a 70 yr old returning to yoga after a break and no longer being able to attend classes, this excellent and inspirational book has given me motivation to practise at home, and keeps me focussed. I have just bought a second copy from Amazon, as a gift for a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical guide, 10 May 2014
This is a very good and practical guide book, but I didn't realise it was the same book I already had, only this one had another cover....

5.0 out of 5 stars invaluable, 17 Feb 2013
J. E. Vollar "jannipeg" (leeds UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on recommendation. I needed a guide for when I couldn't get to class. This is very clear and, as well as giving good guidance on how to achieve the poses and alternatives, it gives a ten week programme. I have used it a lot, especially when we were snowed in. It has also helped me to remember the Sanskrit names of some of the poses. I would particularly recommend it to go alongside classes, but I think it would also be useful to someone who has done some yoga but isn't going to classes now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Feb 2013
Y Lin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Nice and thorough book to introduce oneself into yoga. Although Iyengar approach it is applicable to all forms of yoga.

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy guidebook for beginners, 8 Jan 2013
I began Iyengar yoga classes just a couple of months ago, but as they are weekly and there wouldn't be any over the holiday period, I wanted a guide to help me correctly perform the exercises I'd learned so far. This book does just that.

With lots of photographic illustrations and step by step instructions on the pose, your posture, breathing and how long to perform each exercise, it gives me exactly what I want.

I feel this is a book aimed at beginners and wouldn't be of too much interest to any experienced practitioners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 4 Jun 2009
Ms. Caroline A. McQueen "Cashymac" (Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
Great book exactly what I was after - Easy to read and great photos showing each pose.