5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I'd expected., 6 Sep 2013
I must admit to being a big fan of Dale Ralph Davis and having read his commentaries published by Christian focus this one for IVP doesn't disappoint. Everything you'd expect is here. A very readable narrative, excellent exegesis (or in ordinary language, a good explanation of to what the text is about) and of course much wit and humour. Dale Ralph Davis shows how relevant the book of Daniel is. After all if we as Christians don't find ourselves in a similar situation to Daniel and his friends in exile in the world(fortunately we don't have to face fiery furnaces and lions dens yet in this country) it raises questions as to where we really stand in relationship to our faith! I really can't praise it enough. Having now finished preaching the book there is just one point where I would differ from Davis's, and that would be in chapter 10 where I believe that Daniel witnesses the pre-incarnate Christ rather than an angelic figure. My argument for this would be that the appearance is very similar to that in Revelation chapter 1 were the apostle John witnesses Christ in glory. This I believe proves that the Bible is the best commentary on itself! That said, Davis makes a really good and case for his interpretation then points out difficulties in the text with the interpretation of this being Christ (which I believe are surmountable). But I consider this a secondary issue. I suppose a key thing is, and the highest praise I can give this commentary, is that I always looked forward to my preparation on Daniel but particularly when I had this book in my hand!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Message of Daniel (Bible Speaks Today) (The Bible Speaks Today) (Paperback)
It is a very helpful exposition of Daniel, and a very good update to the previous edition by Ronald Wallace.

The Message of Daniel (Bible Speaks Today) (The Bible Speaks Today)
The Message of Daniel (Bible Speaks Today) (The Bible Speaks Today) by Rev Dr Dale Ralph Davis (Paperback - 21 Jun 2013)
9.99