5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and counter-cultural, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: O Love That Will Not Let Me Go (Paperback)
This is a collection of essays, sermons and extracts from a variety of (mainly male) Christian writers over the centuries about the subjects of grief and spiritually preparing for your death. Whenever I have told people that’s what I was reading, I always look interestedly for their response. Usually there’s a silence, and then a comment along the lines of ‘that’s a bit bleak/ what do you want to go thinking about that for? / but you’re not dying’ – all of which reveal, as J I Packer says in the first chapter, that we as a culture are in denial about our mortality, and even within the church, talking about death and preparing for it well is a total taboo.

I found it was good for me to read the words of those in previous ages: people like Richard Baxter who was a pastor in the seventeenth century. (I find myself thinking thoughts like, ‘oh, because in the seventeenth century lots of people died’, and then have to correct myself with ‘and of course 100% of people still die today!’) But there is definitely a degree to which the seventeenth century pastors had death and sickness in their faces in a way that we don’t today, and I appreciated learning from their wisdom. And the second chapter, by Michael Horton, on Jesus and Lazarus was astoundingly, beautifully brilliant.

A book to dip into while you’re fit and well and not thinking about death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - O Love That Will Not Let Me Go, 10 July 2013
This review is from: O Love That Will Not Let Me Go (Paperback)
Excellent book - in great condition - well worth the read. Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a helpful read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why but not who..., 20 April 2013
Mr. T. E. Rochester (England) - See all my reviews
This book provides solid biblical reasons for Christians to accept the existence of Adam and Eve, or at least a primordial couple who somehow got it wrong.

The book is deep with extensive footnotes, not for light reading, but rewarding.
Collins show how on a biblical and emotional/moral level the existence of Adam and Eve is presupposed in the rest of the biblical narrative concerning sin and ultimate redemption found in Jesus. This answers the "Why it matters" part of the subtitle.

However, concerning the "Who they were", Collins frustratingly leaves it an open question. He poses some criteria of what would be acceptable, and examines some views, including those of CS Lewis from "The Problem of Pain" and Denis Alexander from "Creation and Evolution: Do we Have to Choose?". I think his main reasoning is just to show that these sort of stories could be rational options in favour of his thesis.

Some of this book felt like Collins was expanding upon his earlier works, and I may have found this an easier read had I read them beforehand.

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
O Love That Will Not Let Me Go by Nancy Guthrie (Paperback - 18 Mar 2011)