Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 11 May 2013
I've spent some time recently re-reading some of Vaughan Roberts other books ; "Distinctives", "Battles Christians Face" and "Turning Points", all of which I enjoyed. "True Spirituality" also falls into that category. It is a book which is like an extended commentary on 1 Corinthians from the New Testament, exploring that epistle and drawing conclusions for contemporary Christian behaviour from St Pauls famous letter.I felt in tune with the author throughout this book and I agree that "worship" is not really about singing hymns in a church on Sunday, but is about how you conduct your life throughout the whole week.I also agree that the Holy Spirit indeed only speaks to Christians through reading the Bible, which Roberts emphasises. Mr Roberts fits my idea of what a Christian minister should be and he talks a lot of sense. He also speaks of modern day churches being something akin to the trade union "closed shop". Many of them , in my experience ,are just that ;cold,unwelcoming places where outsiders like myself get ignored when they attend church services and in my case congregations deliberately avoid eye contact with me. I read the Bible regularly , accept Jesus as my Saviour and regularly confess my sins to Him, however I feel that churches and most Christians are anathema to me and I dont attend church services. There is something cold, false and snobbish about these "Christians" , as if they're hiding a secret. I personally think they aren't proper Christians at all and that they are under the sway of some sort of impostor deity. That's my experience of them anyway. Vaughan Roberts doesnt fall into that category in my opinion . His books are well written,genuine and easy to understand and clearly state a traditional Christian message for the 21st Century.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2012
This is typically what I have come to expect from this author. A book which is clear and easy to understand whilst remaining firmly scriptural. It felt like I was being given a 'frame by frame' account of 1 Corinthians and really helped me to appreciate and understand this epistle better. This book is so relevant for the church today when worship can sometimes be seen as some kind of spiritual entertainment designed to lift the spirits of the worshiper. Vaughan Roberts reminds us that it is about the way we live our lives for God. Every member of the 'body' would surely benefit from this. The book starts off by encouraging the reader to look into scripture and to seek God for the truth of how to worship Him. The author uses 1 Corinthians to define what worshipping God really entails (not just singing and not just something you do on Sundays). I don't always find bible commentaries very accessible but this book, without being light weight is comprehensible for new and experienced christians alike. Would like to have given a summary of each chapter or section in this review but don't have the book to hand as I have lent it out again!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse