5.0 out of 5 stars Important teaching for the Church today.
Published on 7 Oct 2006 by Mr. Andrew Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written
Hard to read and understand the writer's intention.
I got confused while reading it. Bought it only to learn more about Evangelizing, But I had more expectations on it. Maybe it's me!.
God bless
Published 17 months ago by covenant633

5.0 out of 5 stars Important teaching for the Church today., 7 Oct 2006
An excellent book in which Packer examines the relationship between God's Sovereignty and evangelistic methods. He begins with a detailed account of the sovereignty of God and how that should affect Christians in the way that they pray. He then goes on to show, however, that belief in God's sovereignty, does not cancel out human responsibility. He gives us a chapter on biblical evangelism and what the evangelistic message is that needs to be presented. He then concludes with a chapter in which he shows how belief in the sovereignty of God should affect evangelism. That is, it should enhance evangelistic efforts, giving more of a confidence and strength to Christians in this matter.

This is one of Packer's earliest works. Although only a short book it displays much of the clarity and precision for which Packer has become well known and respected. This is an excellent little book, which should help to clarify some controversial issues. If only some more Christians would get hold of it today before engaging in evangelistic outreach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 6 July 2009
Peter Bloomfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This endures as one of my favourite Christian books ever, because it is so well written and tackles a difficult topic boldly. I didn't find it easy to read, partly because it deals with more heavily theological issues than I am used to, and partly because it clashed somewhat with the views on salvation and grace that I had held and understood for many years.

I strongly recommend this for any Christian who feels up to the challenge. Depending on your background, you may or may not agree with all the consequences Packer discusses, but he remains very solidly scriptural throughout. You cannot go wrong by reading this.

Brave readers may also be interested to follow it up by reading RT Kendall's "Out of the Comfort Zone: Your God is Too Nice", which expands on many of the issues Packer raises (although be warned that Kendall is a lot less gentle than Packer!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Important teaching for the church today., 7 Oct 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars An encouragement to evangelical Christians, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (Paperback)
This is an updated reissue of a most valuable book from
this writer. It shows how the truth of Election is an encouragement
to evangelists and evangelising people that their work is not in vain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (Paperback)
Hard to read and understand the writer's intention.
God bless

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all Christians, 12 July 2003
In this short book [there are 126 pages in my 1966 edition] Jim Packer clearly shows us the importance of the Bible's teaching on God's complete control of the world and everything in it. He also stresses the importance of telling others about God's plan to rescue all put their trust in Jesus Christ.
His book helps us to see that all Christians believe in God's sovereignty and show this by the way they pray.
He tells us what the gospel is and what it isn't, which is one of our great needs today, no less than when this book was written over 40 years ago.
He manages to present the essentials of this important topic, without ever using that theological swearword derived from the name of a Frenchman who has been much maligned. Charles Spurgeon would have been proud of him.
I have knocked off a star, because I understand the book is exactly the same as it was when first printed, using language which is more masculine than anyone uses today, and based on the King James Version. This would make the book sound odd to many contemporary readers. If you are used to reading books that use such language and such an old Bible version, please add a star.
While the whole book is worthy of reading, I think the first chapter is absolutely essential for all Christians to read, because it shows us clearly that although we may not like to think of God controlling the world completely, it is clearly the teaching of Scripture and is the very ground of our confidence that God will bring us safely to be with him forever if we trust in him, and the only basis for keeping on faithfully in presenting the gospel to everyone we can.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading For All Christians, 20 Jun 2003
Highly recommended.

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God
Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J I Packer (Paperback - 1 Aug 2010)
8.25