4.0 out of 5 stars A one-off, 5 July 2011
This review is from: A Shelter in the Time of Storm (Paperback)
It's surprising that nobody else has reviewed this book yet. It feels a bit spooky to be the first person to do so, especially when so many others have recommended it to us.

This slim volume consists of a series of short meditations on Psalm 27, focusing on the messiness and complexity of human existence, and helping us to find and focus on our eternal, unchanging God in the midst of change, contradiction, uncertainty and all the other painful 'stuff that happens'.

My wife and I worked our way through the book, reading a chapter together each night - and found it a constructive and highly reflective way to close off each day. Largely, I suspect, because Tripp keeps taking you back to the same passage of Scripture, you begin to find God speaking directly to you through the events that you've been going through. The author helpfully makes the reader refocus on the kinds of unchanging truth which give stability and purpose in our ephemeral society, and provides a framework that equips us time and time again to address the real issues that so often entirely confound us.

Sometimes, I found myself not entirely convinced by the author's poems, (hence four stars), but I did (usually) find them to provide a useful way of meditating on the passage in question.

Overall, a very helpful resource for Christians wishing to use the Psalms devotionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting words to strengthen you, 31 July 2013
This review is from: A Shelter in the Time of Storm (Paperback)
A lovely devotional book. I especially liked the poem/chapter "I am safe". Great for anyone going through a hard time.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful reminders of Gods perfect love, grace and mercy, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: A Shelter in the Time of Storm (Paperback)
Solid, helpful reminders of Gods perfect love, grace and mercy, especially in the storm. A lifeline.

A Shelter in the Time of Storm
A Shelter in the Time of Storm by Paul Tripp (Paperback - 15 May 2009)