4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent commentary on Jonah, Micah, less so on Obadiah
Published on 22 July 2012 by Graham Harter

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful to get you started.
Published 4 months ago by Keith Plant

4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent commentary on Jonah, Micah, less so on Obadiah, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Obadiah, Jonah, Micah (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries) (Paperback)
As an occasional lay preacher in my congregation, I do find the Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries (and their New Testament counterparts) a valuable resource for my preparation. The series aims to provide the Bible student with a handy, up-to-date commentary on each book, with the emphasis being on exegesis of the text. Thus, unlike some other commentary series, the contributions to the TOTC series don't waste the reader's time building up elaborate modern-day illustrations of each passage (in my opinion not the rôle of a commentary).

Volume 26 in this series covers the three minor prophets, Obadiah, Jonah and Micah, each book being handled by a different contributor. Both the introductory section to each book (discussing issues such as major themes, date and circumstances of composition, etc.), and the commentary per se, are erudite and confident. They are also very balanced, although the contributors do generally come down in favour of a conservative reading and/or dating of the text.

Jonah (pp.49-144; T. Desmond Alexander). I enjoyed this commentary immensely. It contains an extensive introduction (nearly 60 pages), discussing all kinds of issues around the date, historicity and 'genre' of Jonah. The commentary is clear and highlights all the important structural devices (parallelisms, repetitions and chiasms) as they occur.

Micah (pp.145-226; Bruce K. Waltke). I found the introduction difficult to understand; it is perhaps over compressed. Better is the commentary, which divides the text into sections, or 'oracles,' of a few verses each, and explains each section in terms of its probable historical context as well as its wider significance. Its style is similar to Alec Motyer's commentary on Isaiah.

I was less keen on the Obadiah commentary (pp.17-48; David W. Baker). It was a bit too heavily concerned with Hebrew grammar for my taste. It also suffers from compressed, convoluted sentences - p.33 has a sentence I had to read four times to understand!

Overall, a valuable resource for the Old Testament student.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful to get you started., 15 Mar 2014
I used this particular commentary when I was preaching through Obadiah and then Jonah. I wouldn't have called it the most helpful commentary that I used as these two books are dealt with a relatively briefly, the majority of the commentary was taken up with Micah. But there is enough here to get you started if you are preaching on these two books or leading Bible studies. As is usual with the Tyndale series there is a verse by verse and analysis of the text and enough information when dealing with any difficulties with the translation from the Hebrew. Quite useful in the early stages of preparation as it does get the theological brain cells ticking as one engages with the text.

Obadiah, Jonah, Micah (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries)
Obadiah, Jonah, Micah (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries) by T Desmond Alexander, Bruce K Waltke David W Baker (Paperback - 20 Nov 2009)