5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb
In my battle for holiness I've bought and read a stack of books from all through church history. Many of them are excellent and well worth your time and money, but there are at least three ways this book surpasses them all.

Published on 9 Aug 2009 by E. J. C. Yates

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read
I have read great reviews about this book, but was a little disappointed. I think perhaps the book just wasn't written in a style I like and I found it hard to apply the content to my life.
Published 11 months ago by cathwalker

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, 9 Aug 2009
This review is from: You can change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behaviour and Negative Emotions (Paperback)

1) It is dead simple. John Owen on sanctification is fabulous, but people thought he was hard to read in the 17th century, and he's not got any easier since. Chester has clearly taken in much of the wisdom of Owen, Ryle, and many of the other classics and restated it in language which is racy, gritty, true to life and simple. I would feel confident giving this book to a new Christian who'd never taken A levels - many books I've read would be a challenge to a university graduate.

2) It gives a great overview. A remarkable number of great books seem to specialise in one or another thing but don't give an easy vision of the big picture. While Chester doesn't go into the depth that other books sometimes go into he's by no means superficial, at the same time giving an insight into the wider battle with unbelief and idolatry.

3) It's relentlessly gospel focussed. There are other books that do this, but it's so important that it's got to be mentioned really. Without ever being soft on sin, Chester never resorts to guilt-trip, or legalism to encourage you to holiness, because it doesn't work.

All in all, very much worth your money. I've read it four times now and still expect to get more out of a few more readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpfull for holiness, 1 Oct 2010
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
This is a first class practical guide to sanctification, to the constant spiritual warfare that is the calling of every Christian. It is biblical teaching with practical tasks to apply it. Life can be changed. We used it to good effect in house group studies. The only criticism is the less than circumspect opening to the introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars God can do it - for you!, 15 Mar 2011
A great reminder to all followers of Jesus,that we cannot change ourselves, though we often try to! This book is a real encouragement, no matter how bad you are feeling about yourself, to allow the Holy Spirit to fill you and work in you, through God's wonderful grace. I recommend this book most highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Dec 2010
I just loved this book; it is so helpful. It is easy to read, practical and inspiring. I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 2 Nov 2010
It is worth taking the time to read this book and allow God to work in your life. This book is jam packed full of bible references, the questions are helpful and the reflection exercises are great. I would recommend this for all Christians. a fantastic read. I would suggest finding someone to be accountable to - so they can pray for you and encourage you as you face the daily decisions we make as followers of Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and thought provoking, 30 Jan 2012
Miss S. Johns (London) - See all my reviews
I found this book amazing, it is so easy to read and I found it to be really thought provoking and made me question how I went about my daily life. I found it very easy to read and was so good in helping me rethink my behaviour and attitudes and just my day to day dealings and focus my approach in a deeper christian way. I can't recommend this book enough just brilliant

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindly Light, 10 April 2011
This was bought as basis for discussion by a church "Home Group" which I lead.
It has been much appreciated by most of the 9 or 10 folk participating in its use (with their own copies I must add!)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read, 9 Jan 2011
Brilliant read,real eye opener.Brilliant self-help book with alot of help from God of course.
Will read time and time again.Really interesting and helpful book. I am an avid book reader,especially
christian books. One of my favourites, and easy to understand even for me!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 15 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, very challening, 6 Mar 2012
I've only begun this book, (am reading it alongside In a Redeemers Hands), it is a great book.
I already feel challenged but in a positive way
The style is easy to read yet still challenging
I recommend this completely