Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 November 2001
This classic work by John Stott brings a scholarly theological approach to the central subject matter of the Christian faith - the death of Jesus Christ on the cross.
Stott, the Rector Emeritus of All Souls, London - takes the bible seriously and treats it throughout as a work inspired by God as opposed to a book of intersting philosophies. However Stott does not gloss over the differing interpretations of these words and events. The book provides a fascinating summary of the historical thinking on the subject of the cross as well as an exposition of the truth as it is found in the bible.
For someone not ready for such a scholarly work but wanting to read more on the subject I would suggest a book such as Meynell's "Cross-Examined", however for anyone who wants to think deeply on this important subject, Stott's book is a must.
on 13 September 2009
John Stott takes the reader on a biblically based journey exploring just about every question in relation to the cross that you can think of. Although it is 'strong meat' I found it easy to read, not heavy going.
After reading it my desire for Jesus has increased so much that my desires for sin have decreased, it has had a sanctifying effect on me. I am even more in awe of the God who loves us so much that he gave his one and only son so that we can be reconciled to himself.
This book is a must read for any christian.
on 12 October 1999
Stott gives a clear explanation of the biblical and historical basis of Christian belief concerning the crucifixion of Christ: this book is full of life and inspiration and neither stuffy nor remote from real issues. Excellent!
on 4 July 2008
John Stott manages to make a detailed study of the cross of Christ a joy to read. The book is deeply challenging but very uplifting. I read it after reading Steve Chalke's 'The lost message of Jesus'. While Steve's book made me feel good about myself but John's book made me feel good about God.
on 14 June 2010
John Stott's book the Cross of Christ is a very deep study and analysis of the importance and significance of Christ's death. It is well written, however it's not for the faint of heart. It is a thick read, and at times it can be hard grasp the points John Stott tries to convey. I did however find very interesting in chapter 2 where the author writes of `why did Christ die' from which John Stott clarifies a common misconception within Christian circles; that is in reference to Christ on the cross, `He was not killed; he died' (p61). In other words, Jesus was a willing sacrifice. So often I have heard ministers and preachers say the expression, `Jesus was murdered upon a cross', but however is not true at all. Christ died by giving himself up; he was not taken against his will. In chapter 7, John Stott writes about the different arguments supporting the language of propitiation and that of expiation, and I found it an interesting read. On page 169, the author says `to propitiate somebody means to appease or pacify his anger' and the linguistic argument against this is that of expiation, `...or the removal of defilement' (p170). I had only ever come across the first of these, and it was interesting to read C.H Dodds interpretation.
on 5 February 2013
The death of Jesus Christ is the central fact of the gospel and John Sott reall y does that theme full justice. I read this book many years ago and reading it again reignites my enthusiasm for the messge of the cross. I would certainly recommend this book to any who want to know the heart of the New Testament message.
on 31 August 2011
'The Cross of Christ' (20th anniversary edition 2006) is without doubt the 'magnum opus'of the late John Stott. Here we have, at its best, an evangelical defence of the biblical teaching on penal substitution as well as every other facet of this great doctrine, biblically and historically.The timeless relevance of this book cannot be over-stated, especially in view of recent attempts to question the truth of the vicarious suffering of Christ on the Cross as the expression of the anger of God against sin (while, of course, displaying his mercy to the sinner). A bargain at twice the price !

Ray Bromham
on 24 September 2010
Stott is able to challenge our view of the cross, and making something to central to our faith even more exciting and amazing. He enables us to view the cross in a new way, looking at the historical context of it, whilst remaining biblical. It was a heavy book to read, but worth it. This book reminds me just how amazing our God is. If you want to be challenged whilst finding out more about the centrality of the cross to our faith, then this book is not to be missed
on 30 September 2011
Mark Driscoll said if you read only one book by John Stott read this one.
I have just finished reading it and it is brilliant. We often forget the true meaning of the cross. It can easily be seen as an interesting point of Christianity rather than the focal point.
Christ's death and resurrection are key doctrines of Christianity so it's wonderful to have such a thorough explanation behind their significance.
on 20 January 2011
i have this book myself and have found it to be an excellent resource as i study the meaning of the atonement of christ. i was so glad to have my son request the book as a christmas present and i know that he will derive the same benefit from it as i have. the service was top notch too. no complaints at all