Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 December 2003
This is a tremendous book; a great book to read at the start of another year. The vast expanse of the rest of our life (or the not so vast, God alone knows) stretches before us – the question hangs in the air: Will we waste it? What will we have to show at the end of our one and only precious God-given life?
Is Jesus useful only for escaping Hell, or is he the Treasure of our lives? Do we live lives that demonstrate something of the all-surpassing value of Jesus, or lives that show only too clearly that we have the same earthbound focus as our neighbours? Are we wasting our lives?
John Piper demonstrates with passionate forceful clarity that a life lived revelling in God’s glory and seeking to bring glory to him in every sphere of life is the only way to really live your life. He issues a call to serve and glorify Christ in the ministry, on the mission field, and in secular jobs. Amidst his passion there is balance and wisdom for all believers.
In the first two or three chapters, perhaps less easy to read than the rest of the book, Piper tells us of his discovery of the preciousness of Christ. And this is his great prayer for the readers of his book – that we will not only see it, but live it out. The succeeding chapters are powerfully challenging with titles like:
‘Risk is right – Better to lose your life than to waste it’
‘Living to prove He is more precious than life’
‘Making much of Christ 8 to 5’
‘The majesty of Christ in missions and mercy’
This isn't a book to read quickly, but a book that will take you time and will profoundly challenge you – your use of time, money and life itself. If you want to live life as God intends this is a book is for you. It should be compulsory reading for every Christian!
1515 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2010
This is a fantastic book to read! I thought it was very useful and offered practical advice on how to avoid a wasted life. It really brought into perspective the importance of being `eternally' minded Christians, and not being caught up with the superficial `stuff' that seems to be ripe in today's culture; popularity, success, power and wealth. John Piper writes with precision and clarity on the issues and topics raised in this book; one quote which echo's throughout the pages is, `Risk is right, Better to lose your life than to waste it'. I think this is one of the better books out there that tries to renew the Christian vision, and give new enthusiasm for the Word of God. Just recently I read Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, which in essence tries to do what Piper does here, but however is nothing more than a sloppy mess of stories and analogies. John Piper hit the nail on the head when he wrote don't waste your life; thought provoking, challenging and Biblically founded, I think this is a good and helpful book that a people will continually return to and enjoy.
on 19 February 2010
If your looking for a deeper understanding of the Bible, of Christ living life and true spirituality, this book really helps understand some complicated stuff. And it's very easy to read.
on 29 November 2010
During the past few months I have taken retirement from a Christian organization, ( although I still work with them two days a week).

I found this book the most challenging book I have read for a very long time, certainly this year. John Piper sets out in very clear terms that we are not our own but that we belong to Christ.

Our lives should therefore be used for Him and in seeking to make Him known, not only to those round about us but to all men everywhere from whatever country or culture they may come from.

To be highly recommended to everyone everywhere.
on 16 July 2014
I have just read an excerpt at the end of the "look inside the book" where John Piper takes the example of a couple in their fifties who retire and go out regularly on their boat and collect shells - basically enjoying God's creation probably after many hardworking years.
John Piper seems to regard this as "wasted life." How incredibly judgemental! What does he know of their lives? Maybe in the
gentleness of their lifestyle they are honouring God in their appreciation of His wonderful creation... There is nothing worse than
an evangelical Christian who judges the lifestyle of others as being "wasted" or "less than" just because it doesn't equate to his
standards of doing, doing and more doing. He can know nothing of the workings of the inner lives of this couple.
on 17 April 2012
The Lord has taken me on a very long desert journey lasting more than a decade and, because life does not always make a lot of sense in the desert, the title of the book has become very dear to me. This book (as well as Driven by Eternity by John Bevere) has certainly added to the 'Sovereign God' perspective for me - what counts is God's perspective of my life rather than that of man. The book oscillated for me between difficult (and perhaps slightly repetitive) passages and pages upon pages of insightful detail. I tend to be a 'student' rather than a mere reader and mark up (heresy?!) as I read. Perhaps it is my spiritual journey but hardly a page is unmarked. I was hoping to give a highlight from the book but there is simply too much and it will be different for each reader. For that reason I will simply quote from p124 the sentence that sums up the book's message and is hopefully the cry of every Christian: 'Oh Lord, don't let me waste my life'. Amen.
on 13 July 2013
From reading other reviews and reading the product information, I would only suppose that this is an actual book. It turns out to be a pack of tracts (leaflets) - things that you'd hand out when you're evangelising on the streets. I was very disappointed because people refer to it as a book. It's not a book, it's a tiny leaflet. Just be sure this is what you intend to buy before pressing checkout!!
on 10 March 2013
An eye opener, a powerful book, you will never be the same again as you realise the true meaning of life as a christian here on earth and begin to live it daily........Read it , you will never want to waste even one day of your precious life again!
on 7 January 2014
As a 27 year old I am very grateful to John Piper for writing these God inspired words. I have made a highlight on almost every other page. The book covers a broad range of topics whilst maintaining a primary focus; namely making much of Christ in our lives, laying aside all the worthless pursuits. Don't waste your life, read this book!
on 29 January 2013
Thought provoking, worth reading and applying to one's life. You certainly won't be wasting your time reading this. I recommend it.