5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 19 Nov 2000
By A Customer
Desiring God has had the most radical impact on my thinking and life. Piper's thesis - that the only way to live is with a combined passion for our own joy and for God's glory - has been a powerful and fruitful motivation in my life eversince I grasped this truth. His biblical exposition is stunning - there is no fanciful speculation, just a clear and obvious presentation of scripture. On prayer, he demonstates convincingly that the purpose of prayer is to maximise God's glory (Jn 14:13) and to maximise our joy (Jn 16:24). This has sunk deep into my spirit and transformed the way I pray - and the effectiveness of my praying! Much more could be said about this totally God-centred book. Get it, read it, share it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Chief End of Man - to Glorify God and enjoy Him For Ever, 25 Feb 2006
Mr. M. Gray "Matthew Gray" (Southport, UK) - See all my reviews
The central thesis of this book is that our pleasure or delight in God is not a secondary, peripheral issue in the Christian life, but rather it is central.
John Piper’s life mission statement and the foundation of his book is that
‘God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him’. It is a serious book about being happy in God, ‘happiness’ because that is what our Creator commands; “Delight yourself in the Lord” - Psalm 37 v 4. It is serious because, as Jeremy Taylor said, “God threatens terrible things if we will not be happy!”
The overriding concern of this book is that in all of life, God be glorified the way He appointed. The book aims to persuade its readers that; ‘The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever’.
Here are two snippets: ‘I found that the goodness of God, the very foundation of worship, is not a thing you pay your respects to out of some kind of disinterested reverence. No, it is something to be enjoyed “0 taste and see that the Lord is good” Psalm 34 v 8’ ‘The pleasure Christian Hedonism seeks is the pleasure which is in God himself. He is the end of our search, not the means to some further end. Our exceeding joy is he, the Lord, not the streets of gold, or the reunion with relatives or any blessing of heaven’.
If, like me, you enjoy the style and content of John Piper’s books, you may well find that you cannot wait for his next book to appear. His emphasis throughout is a good one, namely, that the chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever and shows how this is worked out in the areas of conversion, worship, love, scripture, prayer, money, marriage and missions.
I heartily recommend this book which is both provocative and challenging.
David Stephen

5.0 out of 5 stars A contradiction in terms?, 2 Nov 2002
Helen Widgery (Reading, Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desiring God (Paperback)
Desiring God - The Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (someone who pursues pleasure). Isn't that a contradiction in terms? Christianity - - hedonism?
The author, John Piper, shows through scripture (the Bible) that this is not a contradiction in terms. The chief aim of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. Ten aspects of life, ranging from conversion to suffering and money to marriage, are considered.
This would be my desert island book! I was challenged and inspired - and caused to think seriously about many areas of my Christian life. The author opened a new dimension to my faith and walk with God. I am already looking forward to reading it again in the near future!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Very Best Christian Books, 20 Jun 2003
This review is from: Desiring God (Paperback)
Piper's book is one of the most influential books written in the past 20 years. It has led many Christians to a deeper understanding of the Bible, and a closer walk with God. One of the book's best features is the way it integrates the various strands of the Bible's teachings into a satisfying union.
The book shows our great need of being God-centred, not centred on ourselves. Piper shows us how God himself is properly God-centred, and seeks to bring us the joys of this true focus.
Many people have found this book to be life-changing, and I am most certainly one of them.
It is worth reading and re-reading.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desiring God, 14 Sep 2009
Andrew Gosden (Ipswich, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (Paperback)
Desiring God by John Piper is probably the most significant book I have read in the past few years, but its subtitle, "Meditations of a Christian Hedonist", might lead you to wonder what's coming. Is this a book about the Prosperity Gospel perhaps - if you give to God he will make you rich? Or perhaps Piper is saying that if you have faith all your problems will disappear and you will never be sick or in trouble every again and be happy every day?

Emphatically no! The clue is in the title - Desiring God. This is a book to stop you seeking pleasure anywhere else other than in God Himself. What Piper has discovered is a golden thread that runs through the Bible, through the life of Jesus and St Paul, the great theologians Augustine, the Puritans, Jonathan Edwards to C S Lewis and beyond

John Piper is pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, and has been for almost 30 years. Before that he was a seminary professor, and he holds a PhD from the University of Munich. He is a passionate preacher, pastor and thinker.

But early in his career he was struggling with the fact that "if I did something good because it would make me happy, I would ruin its goodness." He felt somehow, as C S Lewis explained it, that "there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and earnestly hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing..." And yet other Christians across the ages had discovered something different:

Blaise Pascal wrote: "All men seek happiness. This is without exception."

Jeremy Taylor: "God threatens terrible things if we will not be happy."

Augustine: "If I were to ask you why you have believed in Christ, why you have become Christians, every man will answer truly, `For the sake of happiness.'"

We all desire joy, and happiness but somehow feel that these desires should be suppressed and that "to be motivated by a desire for happiness when [volunteering] for Christian service or [going] to church - that seemed selfish..." However hard we try, though, it seems we have "an overwhelming longing to be happy, a tremendously powerful impulse to seek pleasure." Through the writings of C S Lewis, Jonathan Edwards and others Piper finally saw that "I must pursue joy in God if I am to glorify Him as the surpassingly valuable Reality in the universe."

So through looking at Conversion, Worship, Love, Scripture, Prayer, Money, Marriage, Missions and Suffering, John Piper seeks to show that "the chief end [purpose] of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever" and that "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

This brief overview cannot do the book justice. Piper does not avoid the hard questions. The chapter on Suffering is a real challenge to the comfortable Christianity of much of the Western Church. Occasionally Piper seems to stretch a point or over-complicate, and you might need to re-read the odd paragraph to get the argument, but these are small points. Overall the book creates a desire, at least in me, to pursue knowledge of God, delight in God and the glory of God more and more, which leads to the most radical Christian discipleship.

As a musician and "worship leader" (although I think only the Holy Spirit can truly lead us in Worship) I find Piper's writing always creates excitement in me to see God worshipped and glorified in my life and in the Church. I cannot recommend this book too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will release you to worship, 29 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I was really blessed by this book. It challenged me in the way I view and respond to God, especially in the way I worship Him. It cuts through a lot of "religious" thinking that burdens Christians, even if we're not aware of it.
Highly, highly recommended.

Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper (Paperback - 16 July 2004)
11.91