I will be honest: I am neither a child, nor am I a habitual poetry reader. So I am a little surprised to find myself reading - and really adoring, a book of poetry that is written primarily for a young audience.

Published on 26 July 2010 by Federhirn

1.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped
Published 2 months ago by Kev Green

5.0 out of 5 stars This book might just convert me to take an interest in poetry. And I'm in my twenties, 26 July 2010
This review is from: Off Road to Everywhere (Children's Poetry Library) (Paperback)

Off Road to Everywhere wants to grab children and tell them it's okay to play around with words. It's good to have an imagination, and wonderful to use it. It's okay to be a little silly sometimes - but also okay to be serious. It is a book written with genuine, heartfelt affection for children, for words, for the rythm and music of language, for poetry and creativity. It's a book that, in no uncertain terms, declares that using one's imagination is a great adventure. It's probably the most life affirming book of poetry I've ever read - but admittedly, I don't read many.

As an adult, I do wonder whether I should put this book into the "guilty pleasure" category. After all, shouldn't I be all grown up and read poems that have dozens of layers, without resorting to something as simple as musical language or rhymes or, heaven forbid, humour? Ach, who cares. Give me a poem that mentions "the 100 watt light / might look happy and bright / but it may be afraid / to be switched off at night" any day.

Which is not to say that the book is not poignant or serious. It does have its grim moments and its sad moments. This is not a book that talks down to children. It is, however, a book that allows its poetry to be entertaining as well as clever. I never felt patronised, and I am 28 years old.

As an introduction to poetry, this is lovely. Whether rhyming poetry, free verse, narrative poetry, or poetry that uses up the area on the page in creative ways, you can find it all in here. As a book about creativity and the power of imagination, it is a magnificent achievement. As a source of laughter, joy, and poignancy, the book works beautifully. In short, if all poetry were like this, well, I would be a much more regular reader, and much less reluctant to pay for a thousand words sprinkled in a thin volume a similar price to a 100,000 word novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped, 4 July 2014
Knowing this author personally and also knowing how he gathers his material I have nothing good to say about either him or the book. Phill Gross prides himself on winning awards for what are effectively adapted pieces done by the diligent yet unwitting students he teaches. Gross loses all feel to his poetry by babbling on in his own way and that's sad really for the man is really quite talented.

He once told me that ryhme in a poem was dead, contemporary was the only way forward. Sorry Phil, I have to disagree, I'd much rather read a peace that has some flow to it and allows my brain some down time instead of having to work at what the hell it is the poem or prose is supposed to be telling me.

Buyers should not take my review as one of bitterness, I've liked many of Gross's work, but this book falls well below the standards I expect from a potential genius of a writer.

Off Road to Everywhere (Children's Poetry Library)
Off Road to Everywhere (Children's Poetry Library) by Phillip Gross (Paperback - 1 Jun 2010)
6.68