5.0 out of 5 stars Wark - The Beach Beneath The Street
Published 23 months ago by Bookish

3.0 out of 5 stars Too scholarly?
I suspect this book is aimed at students of SI rather than those members of the general public (such as myself) who have a rather less scholarly interest in the subject.

Published 20 months ago by booky

5.0 out of 5 stars Wark - The Beach Beneath The Street, 10 May 2012
This review is from: The Beach Beneath the Street: The Everyday Life and Glorious Times of the Situationist International (Hardcover)
This is another Verso classic: Wark presents a readable but still highly informative and original insight into the life and times of the Situationist International. What I found most interesting is that, unlike much of the other SI criticism out there, Wark does not dwell too predominantly on Guy Debord - instead, he considers other members like Lefebvre etc., which made this a refreshing take. Overall, a very enjoyable read - scholarly and fun - I definitely recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too scholarly?, 17 Aug 2012

I cannot fault his research, and the writing style is as times very engaging, but I often found myself adrift and having to re-read long passages to try and grasp what the author was trying to get across. Some terms are not defined and I had to use google more than once to try and make sense of the text.

All in all a flawed book but not without considerable merits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime..., 21 Sep 2011
Just arrived today and I have read 30 pages...

This is a sublime work of research, writing and creativity.

I can smell Paris reading it and am excited and inspired by the content.

ARRAY(0xb5bfd234)