5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Moving Account, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: In Search of Fatima: A Palestinian Story - 2nd edition (Paperback)
I have read a fair bit about the Palestine-Israel conflict but the personal nature of this account made me consider a whole range of issues affecting Palestinians as individuals, and also answered many questions I had. I found the first part of the book absolutely heartbreaking and had to take many breaks while reading. It was deeply affecting. The final part was also very sad and I suppose it is not surprising that I was beginning to feel a sense of hopelessness and anger at the injustice of it all, but I hold on to the hope that this book, and the tireless efforts of an increasing number whose eyes have been opened, will continue to inform us of the continuing injustices and misinformation so that more and more people are enabled to reevaluate what they were brought up to believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Palestinian Story-written by a British Palestinian, 17 Mar 2011
Although Fatima moved in 1949 to England living as a British girl, she became later loyal to the Palestinian cause. This book illustrates what the Palestinians who were expelled from their country in 1948 had to go through. Their whole life was affected. They had to look for another 'home' as they did not have access to go back to their home and country. All the contradictory facts and feelings which Ghada had to experience as a Palestinian and a British at the same time who suffered because of a promise given by the 'British' who did not own the country to give this country to the Jews.

A must read book for those interested in the Palestinians-Israeli conflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing story, 22 May 2010
This is one of the best and honest stories I have ever read. Ms Karmi shows a very brave interpretation of the English, Arabic and Jewish cultures. The evidence given in this book by Ms Karmi about the the stolen Palestinian land by the Israelis, highlights the need for an international help to end the Palestinian suffering under this longstanding Israeli occupation. England can actually help a lot, if there is a political wish. In the last chapter there is a mixture of the lost past/present and possible future triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 30 Mar 2014
This was a book club read, and was my highest scoring book so far. I was a bit put off at first by the size of the book, but it was so well written, and the characters so engaging, that I could barely put it down. It was also a great education for me on the history of Israel, told from the first hand perspective of a young palestinian. A real eye opener and an very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 11 Dec 2013
This book gives the reader a fascinating insight into Palestinian history and was thoroughly enjoyed by all members of my book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the horses mouth.., 18 Nov 2013
It is 2.20am. My eyes are stinging, its cold, i'm tired and my toddler will be waking me early. I wanted to go to bed hours ago. But this book wouldn't let me.I rarely give a book 5 stars but this one deserves it.
Since I was young I often dreamed of leaving the UK to live abroad somewhere exotic. These past few years I really didn't know what was keeping me here. Yet after reading this book I finally appreciate what I have. We may have no jobs, rubbish weather and Chavs in every town. Yet what we do have is a place to call home. This is My country. I was born here and I have my memories. I can go wherever I please. Revisit places I have seen, houses I have lived in. I can visit my friends I have known since childhood. Visit my relatives. Speak my own language and read the road signs. No one is going to put a gun in my face or live in my house. I am free. I know who I am and where I have come from.
Ghada karmi didn't have this. And perhaps she will never know who she really is. If you really want to know how it feels to have your country stolen from you. How it effects your choices and thoughts. How despite thinking it no longer effects you, has actually never left you. Then read this book.
Then do something, anything to try and help the Palestinians get back what is rightfully theirs. Because if we don't at least try to help. Then how can we ever expect anyone to help us

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 16 Jun 2013
A great book, written with passion,a must read for everone who want to know what it means
to be torn away from home and homeland

In Search of Fatima: A Palestinian Story - 2nd edition
In Search of Fatima: A Palestinian Story - 2nd edition by Ghada Karmi (Paperback - 5 May 2009)