4.0 out of 5 stars A very informative read, 18 July 2012
P. McCLEAN (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manituana (Paperback)
Mohawk, Oneida, Cayuga, Onondaga, Seneca and Tuscarora are the tribes that comprised the six Iroquois nations. The novel, Manituana, uses the life of Joseph Brant (a Mohawk interpreter who takes a personal role in protecting his people) between the years 1773 and 1779, to tell how the Six Nations fared in the American Revolution. The Six Nations fought on behalf of the British during the French-Indian wars, and when the American Revolution started, the federation of tribes was still loyal to King George.
This is the third book from the collective of Italian writers known as the "Wu Ming Foundation" to be translated and published in English. The first two were "Q" (a tale of the Reformation published under the name of "Luther Blissett") and "54" (a story about post war Yugoslavia and its leader, President Tito).
As with the earlier novels, Manituana uses historically accurate settings and the lives of real people, to weave a story that brings to light the impact of real events on individuals, their families and their compatriots.
I find enjoyment in the history I read in Wu Ming's books and in the emotions the stories stirred up in me. When I get to the end of one of their books I have learnt facts I didn't know before, I have gotten to know characters whom I never knew existed, and I feel the story, as told, is very plausible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wu Ming on form, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Manituana (Paperback)
I loved Q - Luther Blissett and 54 by Wu Ming . This again again amazes in places in my view , this one is set ( mainly )in the 1770s N America around the time of the American revolution and combines history as you would expect from these writers lots of stuff going on and well described , Native American folklore / symbolism and it's a great twisty turny story as well , end of an era for the Iriquois nation , broken promises , alliances , vested interests, horrible brother v brother civil war ....it's all there and very poignant . Made me realise how mad we are living in a techno world yet how fortunate I am to live in peaceful Surrey suburbs

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, original topic., 29 Dec 2009
M. van Rossum - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manituana (Hardcover)
My main reason for buying this book was my love of the historic novel Q by the same authors.

The book is an entertaining read. Lively, imaginative, original, and meanwhile it contains many facts and figures from the life of American Natives.

However, the story of the Natives is only a sad footnote in history, this book won't change that. That makes it simply interesting than 'Q', which dealt with momentous events in Western history.

Manituana
Manituana by Wu Ming (Hardcover - 5 Oct 2009)
12.84