5.0 out of 5 stars Verbous yes, stunning? Yes., 5 Jan 2009
This review is from: Spirited Away (BFI Film Classics) (Paperback)
I have to say upon purchasing this product (Not from Amazon, so don't think this is a fake review upon checking my buying history haha) I had to say I was weary, even though I do film studies, I felt that perhaps people may read too much into this film. Yet, now, I admit I was wrong, I found it an indespensible resource in my study of 'The subtle socio-economic and enviromental themes present in the works of Studio Ghibli.' The book can he slightly pretentious at points and a little verbous, I seem to remember the phrase "a proto-reanactment of adult trials" when refering to Chihiro attempting to calm the Dragon form of Haku, yet I believe that was as pretentious as it got. I would recommend this book to anyone studying or with an interest in Studio Ghibli or even just Spirited Away in particular.

Many people I have bumped into and discussed the book have expressed an interest to borrow the book, so it's been well read and well loved. I would highly recommend also for any fans of anime or animation in general. It would make a good gift for a fan of anime perhaps combined with the DVD if they haven't seen the film already.

I would say that the reading age of this book is 15+ or mature, not due to graphic content but due to complex themes being discussed and I feel a more mature ready would get the most out of the book.

Also, many pages in the book have high quality glossy images from the film or other areas of interest to Studio Ghibli fans adorning the pages.

A+ Well worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book--perhaps the best in the BFI Film Classics series, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Spirited Away (BFI Film Classics) (Paperback)
I own about 25 of these books, and this one combines the highest quality with greatest quantity--of pages. None are wasted; It is packed with insight and information and illuminating in a wonderful way.

5.0 out of 5 stars BFI Classic Series, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Spirited Away (BFI Film Classics) (Paperback)
Another in British Film Institute series, well written & well researched. For academics and film buffs alike.

Spirited Away (BFI Film Classics)
Spirited Away (BFI Film Classics) by Andrew Osmond (Paperback - 18 Jun 2008)
9.14