5.0 out of 5 stars Observe The Masses, Do The Opposite
Everyone encouraged me to not pick this book. It was this, it was that. This book is clearly a basic layout of what needs to be done. All these people who don't like think they know whats best. Do they have the wealth Peter does? No. He clearly knows what he is talking about and would not release a book not worthy of publishing. Ridiculous .

I urge people to...
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by Cameron

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst of the Five
By some considerable distance the worst of the Den Quintet's books. Really struggles to get going - in fact it never really does. I read a lot and I just could not finish this one - even on attempt two I gave up. Buy Duncan's, James's and Theo's first then even Deborah's before you bother with this one. A real disappointment from a usually inspirational Peter Jones.
Published on 4 Oct 2010 by L. Prendiville

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst of the Five, 4 Oct 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great, 19 Mar 2009
To be honest, I was entirely underwhelmed.

I like Peter Jones from what I've seen on Dragons Den.

I really enjoy reading business books, having very recently read James Caan, Duncan Bannatyne, 3 Richard Branson books and the quite brilliant Felix Dennis' How to get Rich.

This book however left me feeling empty. With all of the aforementioned books I have looked forward to picking them back up again from the moment I put them down. Here though, I almost dreaded having to read it again.

But why?

It all comes down to one main thing. This doesn't feel like it's written by Peter Jones. It feels like it's written by a scholar, not an entrepreneur. And mostly, there's no personality that shines through in the writing. Simply bland.

I have about 30 pages left to read. Still not sure if I can face reading them.

If you want a business book and haven't read any of the ones mentioned above - pick them, not this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Observe The Masses, Do The Opposite, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: Tycoon (Paperback)

I urge people to buy this. It will make your create your dreams

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the worst business book ever written..., 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Tycoon (Paperback)
I read approximately 20-30 books a year and have until now never stopped reading a book before I have finished it, but it was impossible to finish Tycoon! Peter Jones is really good in the show but as an author he is terrible. The money spent on this book was a complete waste, don't buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tycoon: How to turn Dreams into Millions, 19 Jun 2008
Without doubt the worst book I have ever read. All the other 'Dragons' books are brilliant but this is in class of its own.....it is APPALLING.

Don't waste your money. NOT recommended. I'm OUT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information but ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: Tycoon (Paperback)
This book contains a lot of information i.e. a lot of TEXT. I must admit that I found it quite difficult to read - it would have benefited from shorter paragraphs, shorter chapters and more subheadings. The overall structure could use an overhaul.

As a result, it was less motivational that other 'success books' including the books by the other Dragons.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waffle, 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: Tycoon (Paperback)
It's not clear who this book is aimed at. If you have had any experience running a business before, you won't find anything useful in it to further your success, and if you are just starting out, this is no roadmap to riches of any use.
Both my wife and I run our own businesses, and got this book mainly to see if we could get some sort of insight into the mindset of someone who is patently very sucessful. No such luck. We both independently came to the same conculsion - waffle.
Apart from the lack of substance, it is a dreadfully boring book to read
This seems to me a cynical excercise in cashing in on Jones' public profile to fill hsi already overflowing piggy bank.
Don't bother - I'm sure there are better reads around.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure the point of it, 26 Aug 2009
Kelkoozee (London, England) - See all my reviews
I am a big Peter Jones fan so I had high hopes but this book was neither one thing nor another. I like autobiographies but Tycoon didn't really tell his life story, and I like business books but Tycoon didn't really give any advice on business. It was easy to read but quite unsatisfying. Maybe I had too high hopes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 20 Sep 2007
Aaron C Reskew (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this book Peter Jones, known from Dragons' Den and Tycoon, offers a wealth of useful business advice to people thinking of starting their own firm.

Although Jones is clearly a very successful businessman he wasn't always that way and is very open about the fact that he has lost money before, to the point of sleeping in a friend's flat because he had nowhere else to call home.

The book touches on many aspects of running a business, especially a startup business, and in many ways could be seen as trying to put people off the idea. That is probably no bad thing, it is very hard work getting started - no paid holiday, no paid sickness, and ultimately no pay if things go wrong. Most people who want to simply turn up at work, do what they are told and collect the same paycheque every month regardless are not Tycoon material. Unfortunately many of those people would rather gripe and grouse about how unfair the world is than actually look at their own expectations. I guess it's easier to gripe and moan than actually take action.

It is good to see specific points being raised and direct questions asked - Jones challenges the reader to ask whether they are prepared for the inevitable sacrifices that running a business will require and, if they are not, suggests that now is not the time to attempt it.

While I agree with the earlier reviewer who said they might not invite the author around for tea I must admit I find myself intrigued by what makes him tick - enough to join him for a glass of wine if not for dinner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Tycoon (Paperback)
My son got this for Christmas and he found it really interesting how he has turned his life around. Peter Jones that is!

Tycoon
Tycoon by Peter Jones (Audio CD - 14 Jun 2007)
Out of stock