4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff
Well, I'm a bit of a Heathen...Not much of a Book reader I'm sorry to say...usually bored to death by Chapter 2

So, I get this book as a present, because I like Dogs...and as much out of politeness, start reading it.

Published on 11 Nov. 2010 by Squiffy

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Interesting but Somehow Impersonal
Published on 6 Jun. 2013 by Carol

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Cassius, the True Story of a Courageous Police Dog (Paperback)

Well, could I put it down?...Nope!.....I enjoyed every page, a great insight, into the lives of a PC and his faithfull companion!...it was impossible not to fall in love with Cassius...and I recommend this book to all who love Dogs!

First Class

5.0 out of 5 stars CASSIUS THE HERO, 12 July 2009
CASSIUS WAS A BOOK I JUST HAD TO READ TO THE END IN ONE DAY. REALLY ENJOYED IT. MADE ME REALIZE JUST HOW MUCH THE POLICE DOGS ARE SO NEEDED. I SMILED, LAUGHED, AND CRIED IN EQUAL MEASURE. THANKS CASSIUS AND ALL POLICE DOGS. SHEE.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 31 Aug. 2010
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I received this book as a birthday present from someone who knows about the special little place in my heart for the German Shepherd. I began reading this book wondering if I would enjoy it at all as I have read so many stories about 'amazing dogs' that I figured it would be a sort of 'same old, same old' book. However, I absolutely loved Cassius and now realise that I got away pretty lightly with my slightly single minded Shepherd.

Cassius, as the title states, is the story of a Police Dog. It starts with the training that the police go through when training one of these beautiful, intelligent animals and goes right through his career to his retirement and beyond.

This book made me laugh out loud in places and cry in others.

It is a great story - sometimes from the point of view of his handler - PC Joe Sleightholm - and sometimes form the point of view of Cass himself. It gives the reader some understanding of the level of total trust that police officer and dog have in each other and how they deal with the problems of dealing with crime and staying one step ahead of the criminals.

Fantastic book - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of German Shepherd Dogs, 10 Sept. 2009
P. JEFFREY "doggy book worm" (sutton coldfield, england) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed the book very much, liked the details of how the dog reacted to the training, and if you love german shepherd dogs, it just proves how intelligent they are.I liked the police language, not too politically correct!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brave dog, 18 July 2009
A great book and i loved it so much that my second German Shepherd puppy I have just got- I named after Cassius.

5.0 out of 5 stars cassius, 20 Jan. 2011
great book read it in 3 days couldnt put it down,good info if your trying to train a dog,mates are now waiting for it to be passed on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Interesting but Somehow Impersonal, 6 Jun. 2013
Carol (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I love dogs and love to read about them so I thought I would really enjoy this book. To some extent I did. There were some genuine laugh out loud moments at funny things that happened. There is, however, a 'but' - this wasn't written by the policeman handler of Cassius but a professional writer, judging by his writing credits, and it shows in the lack of the personal touch. He describes how the policeman felt at various times but it didn't touch me because it didn't feel personal. The writer was describing an emotion it seemed he hadn't felt himself.

This seemed to put the story at a distance from the reader, somehow. At 95p it's an OK book and worth it for the funny moments but I would feel cheated if I'd paid a lot more for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read for officers and dog lovers, 7 Jan. 2013
I was recommended this book by a fellow colleague who Said it had reduced him to tears!! Whilst I enjoyed it, the book lost my concentration at times until a juicy bit came along.
It certainly emphasises the importance of dog sections within police forces and no matter how many expensive pieces of technology come along, the old methods still remain strong. It's also heartening to read the dog had a full career but was expecting a very different end and it did leave me slightly disappointed and I felt he served his constabulary like any other dedicated officer and dog would and made me wonder why this story was any different to that of other dog handlers.

2.0 out of 5 stars The last half of the book was far better but I was not sorry when I had finished ..., 12 Mar. 2015
J. Ward - See all my reviews
The last half of the book I found I was skipping pages as it went on about the private life of Cassius's Handler rather than Cassius. The last half of the book was far better but I was not sorry when I had finished it.
Two books I can suggest are:-
'Judy', a pointer, and the only animal POW of WWII, a dog in a million. A true story.
'It's All About Treo' This is the incredible true story of the unbreakable bond forged between Treo, the world's most highly decorated dog, sniffing out bombs in Afghanistan and his handler Sgt. Dave Heyhoe. This book had me laughing, crying and every emotion in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very touching tale, 30 Jun. 2013
This book has taken me while to read, but only due to competing priorities. It has not been often that I have had the chance to continue reading this book, but have done at each opportunity. It could be funny, touching, and in the end heartbreaking, but if the reader is not a dog lover they will remain untouched by the author's tale. That being said, if the reader is not a dog lover, doubt they would be interested in this kind of book in the first place.

Cassius, the True Story of a Courageous Police Dog
Cassius, the True Story of a Courageous Police Dog by Gordon Thorburn (Paperback - 5 July 2010)