3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Rankin/Rebus fans, but don't expect much, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Ian Rankin and Inspector Rebus (Hardcover)
I saw this book by Craig Cabell whilst browsing in my local indie bookshop and made it an immediate impulse buy due to my fascination with the works of Ian Rankin and in particular, his series od Rebus novels. As a fan, I'm guessing I'll not be the only one with this on my bookshelf alongside Rankin's tomes.

However, don't expect much. Cabell states from the start that this is neither a biography nor a literary critique, however the problem is he book falls short between both these styles. It lacks depth, seems to refuse to linger on any of the novels and resorts to shallow rhetoric desperately trying to tie in Rankin with his creation. What's worse is that Cabell has a prose style that is overtly chummy and exclamation mark ridden; text which put me in mind of the voice of an irritatingly inane Radio DJ and can really grate.

Definately for Rebus fans, but I reckon we have probably said what is held within these pages ourselves, perhaps even with more insight, because for a book that is supposed to look at Rankin's fictional hero it really fails both literary and biographically. For instance; little is truly made of his love of music or his alcoholism, instead focusing on his maverick tendancies and his choice of careers that aren't best suited to such a character; the armed forces and the police.

Nevertheless it is a mildly diverting gallop through the series which I dusted off in a day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if you like Rebus, 29 Mar. 2010
S. Welham (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ian Rankin and Inspector Rebus (Hardcover)
This book provides a few insights into what makes Ian Rankin tick. Having heard him speak several times I think his best work is yet to come.

Ian Rankin and Inspector Rebus
Ian Rankin and Inspector Rebus by Craig Cabell (Hardcover - 4 Jan. 2010)