5.0 out of 5 stars Tote forever
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !!!!
I purchased Chris Brown's BOVVER one year ago, and I thought this would be a new work from him. Instead this is only a re-working of the previous title with only a few paragraphs added and some photos. I could have saved my money if this was specified in the notes !
Published on 19 Oct 2009 by M.A.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tote forever, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
What an insight to days gone by! But why was the . Patchway crew not mentioned? After all . The. Tote enders are still around! Lest we forget!!! Come and ave a go if you think your hard enough. Up the Bristol blues!! A true insight to youth and what we got up to in the seventies through to the nineties and possibly even nowadays the young ones are living it the way they "think" it should be lived? But hey, there's nothing like the good old days eh!!!? Steve. Patchway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transport yourself to the 70's in the UK......., 12 May 2012
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Paperback)
Chris Brown has crafted an amazingly thoughtful insight and descriptive account of teenage life in the much maligned 1970's.

It was so descriptive that reading the book put me right in his space. I felt the tension and apprehension of impending violence, the pain both physical and emotional, the sense of belonging achieved through supporting `your team' and the achievement gained from on-field and off-field `victories'. But Brown never tries to justify the violence "it was the norm" at that time as he states in the book.

The book also opened my eyes to the music that passed me by during the 70's. It is generally agreed that the quality of mainstream 70's music was pretty bland but Brown describes an incredible and vibrant alternative music scene that the popular DJ's of Radio 1 etc never (or couldn't) play. Having researched some of the songs mentioned in the book I now know what I missed out on!

This is a great read on so many levels. If you remember the 70's then it will strike a chord, if you were part of the football scene at the time then it will evoke vivid memories or if you just want to understand the psyche of the 70's `hooligan' then Booted and Suited is a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, a funny bloke this Browner, 12 Mar 2010
B. Wilkinson "NewMaldenCasual" (SW London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Paperback)
As Im a regular reader of football hoolie books, a mate asked me to recommend which ones would be worth reading. Clearly some are pretty boring, some are run of the mill carbon copies of other previously cited garbage, whilst some make you look forward to continue reading whenever you've put it down last. Booted and Suited rated in the latter category. Ive not read "Bovver" but was fascinated by the idea of a 70s tale as I was born in 75 so missed it. Ever since I met some Gasheads in germany for the world cup Ive realised that the bristol sense of humour is right up there. This book tells a story with the humour chucked in for no extra cost. I actually finished the book and was desperate to meet Hampshire for some reason, its annoying theres no photos in the book! Anyway, the tales really do come across as "this is what happened, take it or leave it" and its not just football related incidents, its a journey through that decade that also included music, politics, birds, drinking, social aspects, and the general crack that lads like to have. Admittedly theres a lot of football related violence but that was part of his life so has to be told. The only reason I havent given top marks is because there were the odd parts that I found a bit boring, when he went on a bit about certain types of music that didnt interest me. Thats my problem of course, and Im sure to others it will be facinating. Just not my bag. Definitely worth a read. I never liked bristol city because andy cole played there and they play in red. I dont like them even more now. Bristol Rovers, Gary Mabbutts first club so that will do me. COYS

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !!!!, 19 Oct 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
For those Bristol Rovers supporters who have seen their Football Club drop into non-league, Chris Brown's excellent warts and all look at 70s youth culture brings back memories of when the club were flying high and winning promotion to the old second division. Not for the squeamish, it gives a true reflection of the times and made me cringe, shudder and laugh. Unlike those books written by so-called Celebrity hooligans this doesn't romanticize but tells it as it is. On occasion it was graphic enough to make me move my hand to cover my genitals! Tales of a darker time on the football terraces mix with the music and fashion of the day and, as Chris says in the blurb, it aint no Boogie Wonderland

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, but fizzles out for me!, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
Being a couple of years younger than Chris (and a northern monkey to boot) I found his tales of the early 70's and the skin head and sued head eras along with the music, fashion and football antics put a rye old smile on my face and brought back some great memories.

The down side for me was the almost invincibility of the Toad End lads, virtually continues referrals to endless bust ups at every ground (home and away), after a few pages it all starts to become a bit monotonous.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
Took me back to the good old days and fond memories. The scooter scene has turned full circle and has a lot of lads from 4 decades riding again

5.0 out of 5 stars Booted and suited, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant reminder of the madness and mayhem of the old terraces. A glowing tribute to the music of the times. A brilliant read in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
As I was brought up in the seventies it brought back memories some good some bad the memories of the clothes the music very good writing turned the clock back

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Booted and Suited (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book as it brought back so many memories of a bygone era. The football and the music.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Booted and Suited
Booted and Suited by Chris Brown (Paperback - 4 May 2009)
6.36