5.0 out of 5 stars Not so usless!
Published on 29 Mar. 2008 by Mrs. S. H. Lewis

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it might even delight you.
Published on 30 Jan. 2010 by Andy Heron

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so usless!, 29 Mar. 2008
Mrs. S. H. Lewis (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
My daughter book me this book for my birthday. I have read it from cover to cover and back again. I found all the information not "useless" but absolutely fascinating. However, a warning - once you have read this book you will start ever conversation with anyone with the words "Did you know.....?". I recently got on every passengers nerves on a recent flight because I was reading it out loud. However, I am sure there are some people from that flight now starting a conversation with "Did you know....?". Brilliant book.

4.0 out of 5 stars alfred hitchcock's belly button, 14 Feb. 2009
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
he didn't have one!

Did you know that?

Did you want to know that?

If you answered yes to the second question, then this is just the book for you.

roughly 390 pages of useless information. the origins of various words, obscure facts about historical figures and celebrities, and things like that.

the book is divided into eighteen chapters, such as sport food and history, and each chapter contains lots of information on the subject that the chapter relates to. all useless. and all so trivial as to be absolutely fascinating.

A fun read. It would be a five star review but the book could have done with stronger editing. there are a few typographical errors, some facts are out of date, and some are repeated. we find in the first chapter that debra winger was the voice of ET. and then fifteen pages later it tells us this again.

but that minor criticism aside, this is still a fascinating read if you like this kind of thing

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it might even delight you., 30 Jan. 2010
I bought this for my biologist sister and literally upon opening it, she was debunking "fact" after "fact" as false! Then I glanced through it and found myself doing the same thing - mostly about stuff I don't consider myself remotely knowledgeable on! So you have to end up taking everything here with a pinch of salt. I honestly can't see how it got published, it is just a hopeless mishmash of stuff the author probably found on the internet and didn't bother to verify.

OK, here is a FRACTION of the portion of untrue factoids.

"The May fly [should be one word] lives only six hours, but its eggs take three years to hatch" The mayfly does indeed have a short lifespan (ranging from 2 hours to 14 days, in fact). Eggs hatch immediately, or take up to 11 months, never 2 years!

"A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours". Again, false - they live at least a few weeks. But hey, what's this? Just a few pages later comes the more accurate "A dragonfly has a lifespan of four to seven weeks."

"The slang word crap comes from T. Crapper, the man who invented the modern toilet." Thomas Crapper did not invent the toilet, nor does the word "crap" have anything to do with his name, having existed over 200 years before he was born.

"A chicken is the only animal that can be eaten before it is born and after it is dead." Not true.

"The elephant is the only mammal that cannot jump." Again, false.

And ditto "the original name for butterfly was flutterby".

Those are the ones I could be bothered to share, but you get the idea.

There's also the downright sloppy grammar/proofing; forgetting the 'G' in Grace Kelly's forename, "Belgium town" rather than "Belgian town", "The world's termites outweigh [outnumber surely] the world's humans ten to one", "butterflies taste with their feet" closely followed by "butterflies taste with their hind feet" and many more. And the categorisation baffles "The International Association of Women Helicopter Pilots is known as the Whirly Girls" makes it into the "Literature and Art" chapter, as do several other facts that have no place there.

But I'll leave you with a fact this book has to share that I'm sure is completely true.

"No two cornflakes are the same".

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing facts of all kinds (though no sources), 23 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Bumper Book of Useless Information (Paperback)
Great fun book for interesting and funny facts from all kinds of areas of life. It's a shame there's no sources quoted as I'm not sure I beleive some of them, but great value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bumper Book of Useless Information, 18 Jan. 2011
Betty Haniotaki (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This was purchased as a gift for my son - he enjoys this kind of trivia and was quoting from it for what seemed like months! Unfortunately, since I don't keep very good records of gifts, I bought it for him no fewer than 3 times - once in hardcover, and twice in paperback. So now I have a copy of my own, and gave another one away. I haven't read mine yet - when I do I may be back.

The Bumper Book of Useless Information
The Bumper Book of Useless Information by Noel Botham (Paperback - 2 Mar. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01