on 31 August 2008
This is the worst kind of celebrity "biography" in that it contains nothing that most people don't already know, has no input whatsoever from the subject himself and relies on information and quotes cobbled together from a variety of other sources to lend it any sort of credibility. Sadly, after a few pages it's obvious to anyone that it lacks even this. No wonder Mr Tennant wanted nothing to do with it! If I were him I'd be spitting mad that anyone had the temerity to publish this using my name as a lure for gullible fans. I learned more about Johnny Depp and Kylie from this book than I did about David Tennant thanks to all the desperate "padding". Please, please, please don't waste your money!
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2008
I simply don't understand why anyone would waste their time writing this book. There is nothing in the entire book that wasn't lifted from internet fan sites or from Dr Who Confidential. The author is cynically cashing in on David Tennant mania and I urge Tennant fans not to waste their money. It really is a huge disappointment.
Much of this book is 'padding' that isn't relevant to the subject in any way, and I even found several grammatical and spelling errors, which just contributed to the very amateurish feel of the work. The glossary of industry terms at the end is so pathetic I thought at first it was a joke. Total rubbish.
I have given it one star only because at least there are some pictures of the divine David.
DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK, spend your money on a Casanova DVD instead!
11 comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2009
This is a terrible excuse for a biography. True Tennant fans will learn nothing new (and will actually be able to correct some of the so called facts) and those who know nothing about him could have picked up all this information from Google. At every opportunity Goodall goes off subject to give us detailed background on some of the bit players in Tennant's life - he obviously has so little knowledge of his subject that he feels the need to pad with information about other people. The glossary at the back is also an insult to anyone over the ages of five. Please don't waste your money on this book - Tennant didn't co-operate with this book and it is obvious Goodall is wandering around in the dark trying (and failing) to shed light on Tennant's life.
on 13 January 2009
The book is badly written, it isn't in chronological order, it is as though the author suddenly remembers bits that David has done but is already writing about another bit, and it waffles on far too much about other stuff which is only remotely connected to David. For eg, I don't need to read 3 pages of which episodes of Doctor Who the Daleks were in! The author just didn't have enough information on David to write a whole book, so he's filled it with rubbish. A great disappointment!
on 23 September 2008
I picked up this book with a great deal of excitement, only to read that Goodall admits in the first few pages to taking most of the information in "his" book off internet fan pages. Fantastic start.

It only gets worse. Firstly, WHY do we need a summary of everything Tennant has ever done? We're his fans, we KNOW the plot of Harry Potter and 'Voyage of the Damned' and 'LA Without A Map' backwards. Oh, and we don't need to know Kylie Minogue's life story, Mr Opportunist.

Worse still, when you think you're going to get some real, raw, new information, Goodall veers away and talks about something else. For example, he begins to discuss Tennant's role in 'What the Butler Saw', but do we get any juicy tidbits on Tennant's thoughts and feelings about appearing naked onstage? Do we heck. We get a brief plot summary and nothing more.

In the last sentence, Goodall states, "[Tennant] keeps his private life very private." This should act as a deterrent to potential buyers: the subject matter isn't opening up, so don't expect the author to extract groundbreaking facts about him.

The photographs, instead of being photographs of Tennant in school plays and early auditions, which one might expect and which might justify spending money on this dross, are frequently-seen pictures readily available on the internet. Print on glossy paper, and you have what you're given in the book.

I feel ashamed to have bought this. This talentless writer makes money off a much-admired man who had no control over this book - though, admittedly, the incompetence, laziness and lack of committed research on Goodall's part certainly ensures nothing we didn't already know comes to light. Save yourself the money and just search 'David Tennant' on the internet.
on 28 October 2008
wish I'd read some of the reviews before buying the book. It was a easy read because it had no depth to it .I knew virtually everything from wikipedia.still the picture on the front is quite nice! There you go buy a photo instead if you're a fan!
on 10 October 2010
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
I bought this book hoping to get some insight into the childhood & private life of a very private actor and was disappointed. Everything that is correct in theis book can be found easliy on the Internet - and there's an awful lot of incorrect information as well.
Now I'm just hoping that one day the man himself will decide to write his own autobiography - having read a 'diary' written by David Tennant for the Radio Times, I know he is a very good writer!
on 24 November 2008
You will learn everything you need to know about David Tennant from his website--and it won't cost you a thing: David-Tennant.com. In fact, most of everything IN this book was probably found on David's official website.

David himself has said he's never met Nigel Goodall and has also said not to believe anything in the book because it's full of rubbish and lies. So...let's all take David's advice!

Trust me. Save your money and don't reward this so-called author by buying this book. Visit the website instead.
on 22 October 2008
I've never reviewed a book before but even before getting through the first chapter I thought it was a complete waste of money and would warn others to steer well clear.
Like stated in every other review before this one, you won't learn a thing about David from this book, it was a struggle to finish it.
Could've done better myself!
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2008
I so wish i had seen reviews of this book before i purchased it.I have never been so dissappointed by a book.When i saw this was available i thought great can't wait to read it.It starts as a dissappointment when you find he has never even met David {i have said more to david after seeing Hamlet than this man has}Then he goes on to say that most of his information has come from websites,and not all of that is accurate.The only thing i can say is i now know a lot more about johnny Depp and Kylie Minogue and even colonel parker.To be honest i could have written better myself,it was too gappy very amateur and with a lot of needless page filling,think most of us are familiar with a lot of terms used in filming etc.David's acting history was also incorrect.Fans do yourself a favour and keep up to date on the websites,and with the money you have saved buy one of the excellent dvd's starring david,i highly recommend Takin Over the Asylum and Casanova and Blackpool,you would enjoy any of them far more than this rubbish,If i didn't have to give it a star i wouldn't,sve your money