5.0 out of 5 stars Lily Allen - good
Please know, as I read this book I really did feel like I was deep inside Lily Allen. It was an amazing experience, very well executed. I can't wait for the next time.
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by S. M. Cunningsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but it needs a tidy up.
Published on 19 Feb 2012 by M. Walton

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but it needs a tidy up., 19 Feb 2012
M. Walton (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lily Allen: Living Dangerously (Mass Market Paperback)
So, why only three stars? I read through the first eleven chapters in one sitting. Although I enjoyed reading the first half, I wasn't compelled to continue, like some biographies that you can't put down. This, by no means, is a bad reflection on Lily. I feel that although the Martin's done his research, the structure of the biography is a little up and down. It seems to jump forwards and backwards a little during the first part of the book. It's still great reading, don't get me wrong, but there are parts where you re-read a sentence or two because they don't flow with the text.

Martin explains about her childhood and upbringing well, and has covered a fair amount of milestones in Lily's life to that point. The book is split into 26 chapters, which is great as this means the text isn't drawn-out, and moves swiftly from one topic to another. There's detail about Lily's struggle to get her foot in the door at record companies, and her success with MySpace. As well, there's a bit of detail about the entire tracks on her first album, and what Lily thinks about them, which is nicely presented. The last few chapters, which discuss more sensitive parts of Lily's life are written well. I think the first and last parts of the book hold your attention well.

There are two sets of photographs. The first set (a third in) are all black & white, and the second lot (two thirds in) are colour. They're great pictures, but I don't think they fully reflect who Lily is.

Perhaps it's because the book was published in 2008, between her first and second studio albums, and she hasn't pursued as many activities as she has today. The TV documentary, From Riches To Rags (aired a while ago) was great to watch, and I think that gave a genuine insight into Lily's life, which was better, but not as thorough as this biography.

All in all, if this biography was updated, for example, and made a little less higgledy-piggledy, I think it would be better. It's still a good read, nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lily Allen - good, 9 Nov 2007
S. M. Cunningsworth (London) - See all my reviews

Lily Allen: Living Dangerously
Lily Allen: Living Dangerously by Martin Howden (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Aug 2008)
7.24