5.0 out of 5 stars Now it all makes sense (at last)!
Worried about your cholestrol levels based on annual medicals or check ups? Under pressure to start taking statins by your doctor? Sick of eating tofu and lettuce instead of steak?

You get my general drift and if like me in my late 50s you have been subject to such ongoing "medical best advice" for a number of years even though your cholestrol level is not...
Published on 11 April 2010 by Siriam

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, but doesn't really provide any answers
At first glance this book seems very well researched and written, and essential reading for anyone taking statins or concerned about cholesterol levels.

Dr Kendrick criticises research into the saturated fat - cholesterol - heart disease link, on the basis that most of the researchers involved in this field had set out to prove this link rather than studying it...
Published on 22 Mar 2008 by jason feavers

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars To many 'ifs' and 'buts', 20 April 2014
This review is from: The Great Cholesterol Con (Paperback)
First of all rather than just rant about this book as someone that may know nothing about health, I will introduce you to my background and then you can make your own mind up as to if this book is for you or not. I started out as a personal trainer some twenty years ago before heading into the field of nutrition and cardiological science and disease. I have studied pure and applied chemistry and clinical sports science both at degree levels and I'm currently studying for my masters in pathological cardiac disease and I have recently become a member of the European society of cardologist.

So lets get back to the book...

After reading the first chapter i had a few raised eyebrows about some of the information and how it was explained... it left me thinking 'but that isn't quite right' When i was at college studying various science subjects I later found out when I studied at A'level standard that some of the stuff we learnt at gcse level was incorrect. The same seemed to be the theme when I was at university studying my degree in chemistry, that certain things at A'level were incorrect. I have to say that althought this book says on the front it was written by a doctor, In what field is he a doctor because it certainly can not be medicine!
Chapter two was a struggle to read because of how things are explained in his whimsical way. There are to many inconsistencies with alot of the time (by his own texts) not even knowing how the whole cholesterol thing works. A few times he tries to baffle the reader with chemistry jargon by making it seem complex when it actually is not.
Chapter three, well I stopped reading shortly after this as I found the texts just a struggle to read and written in a joking manner. Overall I do agree that cholesterol isn't the bad thing here when it comes to heart disease (BUT the drug companies make billions each year from selling them) and there are better ways of checking for heart health. Raised cholesterol thou is an inflammation marker for heart problems so it might be worth having a crp check done with your doctor if you have raised levels of cholesterol.

Overall there is some information in this book of use but there are better reads out there like 'Cholesterol clarity' by Jimmy Moore which covers things in a more common sense way with web sites and texts to back up his statements.

4.0 out of 5 stars I found the book very interesting and have taken on ..., 25 Aug 2014
I found the book very interesting and have taken on board what Malcom Kendrick had to say. It will form part of my decision making process on any medication I might in the future be offered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 21 July 2014
Very interesting and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most eye-opening, interesting and useful books I've ever read., 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Great Cholesterol Con (Paperback)
Relax, go out with your friends and a have a glass or two of wine, celebrate life and say "no thanks" to statins (unless you're a man with previous history of heart disease, in which case they may have a little help!) I will be doing all I can to avoid statins, I won't bother stressing about Good or Bad Cholesterol anymore and I will try not to stress about the small things and I will take what action I can to sort out the big things... life is for living. LOVE LOVE LOVE the humour and wisdom of the writing and the OBVIOUSNESS of the conclusion of this book. It's good to read it in black and white. If you care about your own health, or the health of your family and friends, this is a MUST read. Some of it's "heavy" with science stuff, but it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It would be good to check out properly the claims made in this ..., 28 Aug 2014
Interesting! It would be good to check out properly the claims made in this book. And decide whether I should really be taking statins.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 21 Aug 2014
Absolutely a must read before thinking about taking statins, well explained a good read full of information that you can understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, 31 Aug 2014
This is an easy to read book choc full of medical information that makes absolute sense. It will be a classic in years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Great Cholesterol Con (Paperback)
Very interesting & informative read. There are many contributing factors to heart problems... stress being a major one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Statins - to take or not to take!, 28 Aug 2014
Found the book rather technical but was a comprehensive study on statins and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug 2014
Very well written, clear and concise.If you are on Statins then you really will be concerned!

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›

The Great Cholesterol Con
The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick (Paperback - 7 July 2008)