4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read - highly recommended
Published on 16 Aug. 2008 by Stella Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary people ordinary lives.
A really lovely book about fairly ordinary people. Times were different and values a reflection of that. So glad it was not another 'woe is me' abused childhood tale. A lovely balanced and well thought out book.
Published 21 months ago by grannygrimble

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read - highly recommended, 16 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Complete Surrender (Hardcover)
I ordered this because I wanted to find out more about Ian McEwan, which I did. However I found the story of the brother's life really interesting in itself. It brought back many of my own and my husband's memories of bygone days, particularly of the 1950's and 1960's. There are some very sad moments in this book,as it's about the abandonment of a child. There's also a lot of traditional English humour! The quest to find his family and the amazing wartime history is just an added bonus. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 28 April 2013
A. E. Walker - See all my reviews
i have been through a similar experience having found three of my blood family. This book so accurately described feelings that I had not been able to vocalise - so much so that I asked my daughter to read it so that she understood some of what I was going through. Excellently written - made me laugh but also made me cry. Didnt want to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping!, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Complete Surrender (Hardcover)
very moving book..excellent read and hard to put down..recommended!..Dave Sharp had me gripped...you will be too!..it will make you so grateful for your parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read, 2 Feb. 2013
Not many books have brought me close to tears, but this one has and for the right reasons. A story well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary people ordinary lives., 12 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 3 July 2013
I purchased this book after reading a section detailing how the author was handed over on a train station to unknown people who wished to adopt him. My sister was handed over as a baby in much the same circumstances and the book was typical of how information was kept from children by adopted parents out of fear of loosing them. It appeared factual and although the author had a happy upbringing, being told earlier in his life he had siblings might have made his life even better. The story was well written and brought back memories of how I searched for my sister and eventually found her 60 years of age living in Australia where she had been taken as a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 21 Jun. 2013
This story was written by such a sensible man and funny,
no airs and graces and what a predicament his mother put
herself in.good reading .

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting, 15 Jun. 2013
Couldn't put it down. a sad story in many ways, making you feel that some people should never be parents. excellent read tho.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you wish for ?, 25 May 2013
At first it was a bit hard going,David the author lived quite a mundane early life but as he finally meets up with his famous author brother and learns about his parents he realizes he had a lucky escape been given away to a young couple who really loved him.Unlike his brother who was sent to a boarding school and had a miserable childhood.Well worth a read especially if you are adopted

4.0 out of 5 stars complete surrender, 22 Aug. 2008
R. Holland "Ron G Holland" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Surrender (Hardcover)
Best read I have had for a long time. Absolutely Compelling - read it from cover to cover without even stopping for a coffee!

Ron G Holland - Author of Talk and Grow Rich

Complete Surrender
Complete Surrender by Dave Sharp (Hardcover - 7 July 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01