Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 17 January 2006
The introduction sets the scene with Hartlepool fishermen hanging a monkey after mistaking it for a french spy during the napoleonic wars. After reading this you become hooked and want to read more. Richy begins by quoting that with his record of violence you would think he was brought up in an abattoir rather than a loving home. Richy's journey takes us through the late 60's and into the chopper bike riding 70's reminding us of the special community spirit that was experienced and that family was the center of our lives and a time when Richy's dad dies which devastates him. We travel through the Bruce Lee Kung Fu times and the Happy Days Fonze period and then progress on to the Sex Pistols Punk Rock period until he finds his comfort zone of donkey jacket boot boy. His boxing intro enabled him to participate at levels that any teenage lad would be proud to achieve.By his own admission Richy tells of some of the bad things he has done in life, however he has been man enough to tell the truth and not just include the parts that make him hero-like.His clashes with the law lands him in detention centre.These places were run like boot camps with prison being the softer option.Richy achieved 'The Daddy' status in this barabric environment and moved into manhood with a reputation that began to precede him.Durham prison was Richy's next temporary home and on his release it was time for him to stay out of trouble with the birth of his 2nd child and so he returned to boxing.Hartlepool had a long boxing tradition going back to the 1800's when people fought bare knuckle on Seaton Carew beach.People like Richy carried this tradition and spirit within their blood.We follow his days as a debt collector taxing the odd drug dealer, working as a bouncer in the pubs and clubs and taking on all comers who wanted to try their luck in taking the big guys crown in bare knuckle fights. If you read this book you will see that there is more to learn about Hartlepool, It's culture and Richy Horsley.
0Comment67 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2005
I laughed and I cried with this book. It took me on a rollercoaster ride and I couldn't put it down. I felt like I was actually witnessing everything as it was happening, like I was actually there and it certainly got my pulse racing. What a great read and I think it would make a brilliant film.
0Comment60 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2005
SIMPLY THE BEST READ OF THIS TYPE OF BOOK I HAVE EVER READ.
REAL LIFE. SAD, FUNNY, AND AT TIMES BRUTAL LOOK AT THE LIFE OF RICHY HORSLEY.
I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN UNTIL I HAD READ THE FULL JOURNEY.
0Comment34 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2005
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone, they will not be dissapointed. I've read a lot of autobiographies in my time and this is up there with the best. 5 out of 5.
0Comment42 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2010
I grew up around the same time and in the same area of Hartlepool as Richy Horsley and I was in the year above him at Rossmere junior school. I am proudly pictured with the league winning football team on the photo included in the book, front row far right. Richy's early stories, some funny, some sad, and the host of photos brought back lots of memories for me of the late sixties and early seventies living in Hartlepool. My recollections of Richy at junior school are of a tall, quiet and polite lad who easily managed to compete with the older lads from the year above and when it came to football, he was a very promising, brave and enthusiastic goalie who always gave 100% for the team. I left Rossmere Junior school in 1974 and I have never seen or heard of Richy Horsley again . . . until discovering Born To Fight on Amazon. I would like to compliment Richy on creating a brilliant book and rekindling memories from a different time that had long faded from my ageing mind.
Richy describes his everyday confrontations and his top level title fights with the same enthusiasm and intense, colourful language that makes Born To Fight so vivid, easy and enjoyable to read. This is a down to earth bloke describing his extraordinary career with a confidence and modesty that makes me proud to have known him.
Cheers Richy.
on 23 June 2011
I live near Hartlepool, so when I got this book i was interested to see how Richys fighting days were fought back then. This book is truly a remarkable read. He goes into great detail of his upbringing, where he trained in boxing, how he was bullied as a kid but suddenly found the urge to fight back. He does in good depth about how he feels throughout the book & of course - all the fights hes had over the years! Its a very well written book & enjoyed every single bit of it!

5 Stars
on 5 January 2014
Not the best of books I have read as it was a bit slow going at the start but once it did get going it was hard to put it down all these men that write about their lives to me are real gentlemen and I respect that they know how to treat people and if you don't look out
on 25 December 2015
I was looking forward to reading this book but was disappointed by how shallow it all was - he broke someone's jaw, the ambulance came etc etc. So little insight into how he felt / the other characters etc.
on 21 April 2013
So far I am enjoy'n this true story but not @ end yet I am tempted to flick to last chapter :)
on 22 February 2011
good read if your from the north east you will like this one good insight in to working class culture and the hard men that come from it.