5.0 out of 5 stars BDD and positve thinking
I am someone who experienced body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), when you feel that you're at your lowest, and really believe that, you will never have a normal life again...This book can and will help many people. I was at my lowest point and nearly gave up, before this book was published.

After reading it! I felt yes i can now also start my recovery... with...
Published on 8 May 2008 by Member

1.0 out of 5 stars Antithetical To Positive Motivation For BDD Recovery.
you will greatly enjoy this book if you are the average reader of ghost-written memoirs from pop stars / big brother stars, or if you are looking for a fairy tale on how an attractive young woman who didn't know it, entered into beauty competitions, and then discovered her beauty.

this is actually a rather upsetting tale of how a young woman's body image...
Published on 27 Jun 2011 by babymoondust

5.0 out of 5 stars BDD and positve thinking, 8 May 2008
This review is from: The Butterfly Girl (Hardcover)

After reading it! I felt yes i can now also start my recovery... with positve thinking!

Rosemary

1.0 out of 5 stars Antithetical To Positive Motivation For BDD Recovery., 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Butterfly Girl (Hardcover)

this is actually a rather upsetting tale of how a young woman's body image disorder drove her mother into pushing her daughter into a series of beauty competitions as a means of recovering from a psychological disorder. the fact that this book is out there as one of the only titles detailing body dysmorphic disorder is extremely troubling on account of the fact that the path the author took is completely contradictory to promoting positive self-image. nobodies self-image should be based on how they are judged in a competition, and certainly not somebody with bdd.

i did not find this to be inspirational: not everybody with bdd can enter into beauty competitions and win - even those who DO can only fit that criteria for a limited amount of time. it is difficult to relate in many of the situations given in this book: the only one i could relate to in my bdd, was the fantasy of being attractive enough to be in such a competition. but we shouldn't feel we have to have our looks validated by anybody in order to be free.
furthermore, even if everyone with bdd COULD win beauty competitions, winning a beauty competition isn't going to cure them of body dysmorphic disorder. recovering from this condition takes going in the direct OPPOSITE direction from things like makeup, which we use to camouflage our perceived flaws.

the images on the sleeve of this book are also disconcerting: a lot of makeup, provocative clothing (she is donning a bikini and a sarong on the back - for a book on bdd, this is not something i feel comfortable taking on the train!), and photoshop. this is more reminiscent of the "perfected" images of women we are confronted with from the media on a daily basis, rather than an image we can realistically look up to.

she should surely be seen wearing no makeup and no glamour as a means of shouting to the world "i don't need this anymore!" - conversely, it appears that these things which characterize the darkest depths of battling with bdd are promoted and used to boost sales rather than given up.

i don't believe that the course of action taken in this book should be promoted to people with this conditions as some kind of wizened path.

i don't suggest reading this if you are battling with bdd, are serious about recovery, and wish to indulge in a memoir from a person who has recovered and can shed light on recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very touching and brave account of BDD, 24 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book as it helped me understand BDD which I never knew much previously about. A humbling and admirable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing., 29 Mar 2014
Really good read. Could not put the book down. Very interesting and heart warming would highly recommend extremely good book

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 Jun 2013
Amazing read which highlights the struggle of many young people. A story of inspiration and hope for others struggling. A Must read

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 8 Nov 2012
J. Williamson "jules" (greater manchester uk) - See all my reviews
Gives an insight into how a mental health disorder can suddenly spiral out of control but how it can be overcome

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Positve Book, 5 April 2008
This review is from: The Butterfly Girl (Hardcover)
This book is truly motivational and inspirational because it does not only talk about the medical issues around this girls illness but gives you an insight to the every day build up that could have contributed to this type of illness.

In the book the girl talks about so many things that happen in lots of peoples lives, that we all take for granted starting from us as Parents, Mothers, Sisters, Brothers, Friends and Family's in general.

It seems to me that we can all makes mistakes in life and till we read a book like this we may not always notice!

If you're ready to begin to overcome past experiences and choices that are holding you down... Then I would say that this book would be a good read for you!

This inspiring story will help you begin to institute that desired change - within yourself

This is definitely one of the books that will uniquely charge you to begin to recognise and nullify long-held, counterproductive limiting thoughts, and self-doubt.

When this book came to my attention I was first impressed by the cover-but you know what they say... "You can't judge a book by its cover" What it means is that before you can judge something, you need to take a deeper, closer look at it.

The book also talks about against size zero models, which is a much-needed subject, as I am a larger person.

Excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Butterfly Girl (Hardcover)
Loved this item really good read of a book would read it again

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a self promotion book than an insight into BDD!, 14 Jan 2013
Although this book does go into some detail about BDD, it does seem to be dragged out as some self promotional material instead of a real insight into a BDD sufferers situation.
Not recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS BOOK, 23 April 2008
This review is from: The Butterfly Girl (Hardcover)
After reading this book, I was impressed with Rachael's determination to overcome the issues that faced her in life. Many people would have given up, but Rachael was willing to try almost anything to live a life of intention. At times, she faced criticism, failure, and heartache. But, she persevered by learning, listening, and taking action.

This is the only self-help book about living with BDD. That makes sense to me... about this hidden illness in society, (which I thought focused only on image. Till it was medically proven in America that it is a real brain deformity). Till watching GMTV and Am I Normal? (BBC2), with Dr Tanya Byron. I never realised how serious this illness was. I had tears in my eyes most of the time when reading this book. My sister is a model and could relate to some of Rachael's problems. Racheal is a true survivor.

Reading this book really was, the best thing I did!

Richard Cleaver

The Butterfly Girl
The Butterfly Girl by Racheal Baughan (Hardcover - 3 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01