Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 September 2014
Really fascinating book. We have bought this for a friend abroad to explain some of our strange idioms.
on 8 February 2013
i bought this for my dad for xmas. he reads it alot and tells me what all the phrases and sayings mean, and it is very interesting.
on 15 December 2009
This book is excellent for those who want to know the meanings of traditional/popular phrases. I know a lot of the phrases and their basic meanings but didn't know the origins.
on 15 November 2014
This is my fave from Albert Jack, a LOT of work goes into these books. Very interesting
on 28 July 2015
brilliant book
on 25 February 2015
All as stated.
on 26 April 2013
Interesting to find out the origins of everyday words and phrases . . . . . . . . .
on 31 August 2008
I am also sceptical about books of this nature, because there is always a danger of the author (no matter their intentions) to reuse stories from previous authors that were poorly researched, or just plane wrong. This author has unfortunately fallen into this trap and even though this is an entertaining read, some of the explanations of the phrases covered in this book are wrong. For example, the Dodo did not become extinct due to their meat being eaten by hungry sailors. This theory was disproved by historians who did some proper research and read the journals of sailors who actually tried to eat Dodo meat where it was described as being of bad taste and tough. This is not the only error and even when the author does give multiple examples of the possible sources for an expression, I found it difficult to believe what I was reading because of the aforementioned errors. One of these days, books such as this will be researched thoroughly before being published.
on 18 October 2010
I was given this book to use by a friend to create some posters for our etymology group. It was so useful and helped me to create more quickly the written text for the picture posters. I have bought one of my own now and a friend has borrowed it for some German friends. They are living here now and she finds the sayings and phrases so useful to clear up things they just 'DON'T GET' about our language. I am sure it can be read just for the interest in our language.
on 18 June 2015