Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 January 2006
Very good insight into the world that many of us only dream about - real people with real circumstances make it an excellent read for all.
Cockerill relays excellently the situation surrounding the life he lived and described the characters positively yet intermately along the way.
Very good reading
on 9 January 2006
Cracking view on life in teeside - real life, real feel, real names. Cockerill claims to be the hardest man - nobody seems to challange that fact?
Very interesting raw but effective reading
buy it now
on 10 January 2006
I have read many crime books based on 'so called' hard men, and I have read most of Stephen Richards books. To date I have been unimpressed with the stores of the McLean's, Kray's, Courtney's etc. I was however impressed with the story of Brian Cockerill. Big Bri is a true hard man and I'd like to see anyone challenge him for the title of hardest man in Britain.
As usual Stephen Richards has brought us a real life book that is presented in such a way we can feel part of the experience of Brian. Most other books are written in a way that makes these other hard men 'untouchable'. A definite recomendation.
Brian Cockerill, second only to the late Viv Graham.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2006
I must say that the Taxman gives a real insight into the way life operates in the North East underworld
Real life drama, nail biting honesty - good read - buy it now
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2013
This is the poorest attempt at story telling I have ever read. Somewhere along the line there seems to be some attempt to describe the subject as a social services operative and Robin Hood returned. How did he know (and remember) who many breaks he caused of the hundreds of jaws he broke. Strangely enough, I lived in Teeside during his "reign" and knew many CID, Drug Squad, and Regional Crime guys and never heard his name mentioned!
on 15 February 2013
Really disappointing. Normally I love this genre - crime, underworld, gangs - but this was a book lacking any storyline just a series of pages where the reader learns about yet another lad he has brayed. He makes himself out to some Robin Hood type figure but for me the book just serves as a way to massage one huge ego. Normally you feel some respect for the subject matter (in most of the books I have read anyhow), but I kept thinking that I would like this guy to be given a taste of his own medicine and be brought down to earth. The book was poorly written. One for a car-boot sale and I never normally let my books go.....
on 25 November 2013
Save your money,why would anyone need to sprout about what they have beaten up and hurt through their life,thought it was a story about doormen ( which it was partly) but all the bad language as well,save your money Joy Page Yorkshire
on 8 December 2007
Never mind drug money, this is blood money! If you ever wanted to find the axis of evil then the deliverance of justice dished out to drug mugs hits the hot spot. The retarded drugsters are pinpointed then homed in upon by the grand master of disaster (The Tax Man) and laid out like dead rodents for all to see, and not a policeman in sight as it happened, now that is justice!! If you think lawful means is going to cure the curse of drugs in the UK then you are very wrong, a good nosebleed seems to work immediately. The small struggling group that we have come to know as the police are now outnumbered by the brain dead junkies that inhabit the UK, so why shouldn't someone like Brian Cockerill redress the balance, even if it is only by a teeny weeny little bit. The book is full of comeuppances for the junkie brigade, and yes Brian did have to squash a few junkies into the ground while clearing a path for decent people to walk through. Three cheers for Brian Cockerill. Hip-hip, hurray!!!!
on 31 July 2013
This book interested me for the fact I spent my teen years on lakes estate in Redcar so it was good to hear a lot of the places mentioned. However, although this book is worth the money it got a bit repetitive. Every page someone was getting a hiding. It's a shame we didn't get to know more about this man other than he is tough
on 20 July 2011
big brian likes to blow his own trumpet ,id say certinly a hard man , but where im from he would be taken out overnight for taxing also claims to be the hardest man in britain wonder what he would do if " big trevor hayes" challenged him. god enough book from poverty to criminal.couple a chaps from over here probable be a good match for him dan rooney or ian mc ginley both travellers and loads more hard men from that community.