4.0 out of 5 stars Coming home
I too have a lending-library's worth of diet books. As with a fellow reviewer here, 'The GL Diet' is the one I will keep, replace, and buy in revised editions.
Published on 28 Jun. 2005 by Ms Marie Denley

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not as good as the frat Holford book. Delivery as promised.
Published 6 months ago by farawaymum

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming home, 28 Jun. 2005
Ms Marie Denley (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
Its aim is to free people from the tyranny of points/syns/calorie counting etc., and eat healthily without such worries on GL guidelines. The tone is friendly but not patronising. The exposition of principles is pared-down; the discussion of food groups and listings is likewise clear and simple. There is a sensible section on motivational strategies. The recipes are varied and interesting. Fresh food is the absolute foundation of the diet, hooray.
There are a couple of minor drawbacks. I don't think the food-lists and dieting principles quite take into account how hard it is for serial dieters, hitherto used to counting everything, suddenly to do without counting. That is a major psychological block and needs more attention.
It would be helpful to have an alphabetical list of unprocessed foods, and a few common processed ones, classified according to low/medium/high GL for reference and reassurance. That's particularly important since GL values are hard to find in a coherent presentation elsewhere, even on the internet. I'm told such a list is planned for a future edition. There is a formula offered for converting Glycaemic Index ratings (more available) to Glycaemic Load ratings, but it makes my brain fuse.
For some people, judging portions is a problem (even though the cupped handful is offered as a useful measure), especially of snacks. That could be alleviated by offering a rough volume measure (like American cup measures, for example).
I warmly recommend joining the website the book gives, where there is a chance to talk to the author and his team and both give and receive valuable input.
I'm just holding back that fifth star until the GL values list comes out! The diet itself is great, not dry, sloppy, boring or plain unhealthy like some I have tried. It's healthy, interesting eating and it works. Taking up the GL diet feels like coming home after being lost for a long time. I warmly recommend both the book and the diet, despite my hopes for a slight change in the presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest diet ever!, 12 April 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
I have tried many diets (Atkins, slimfast etc) as I only have about 8 or 9lbs to lose so was always after a quick fix. The trouble was, I would lose the weight quickly and then it would go straight back on after a few days of eating 'normally'. This book is brilliant - easy recipes and best of all, you don't really have to cut anything out of your diet - I am still eating bread, eggs, cheese, fruit and veg and even a few squares of chocolate a day!! It doesn't even feel like a diet and I will happily continue. After just two weeks I have lost 5lbs and feel better, I have more energy and my skin is glowing! Highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Change, 22 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
At last, a book that is easy to follow and lays out all the information in easy-to-find chapters. What a change from other nutrition books where you can spend hours wading through detail. With 'the GL diet' book the scientific research section is in one chapter which you can read immediately, or leave until another time. The author understands that his readers are anxious to get started on this easy way of eating. The choice of food suits those of us with busy lives. A wide selection of meals is listed, while the recipes are quick and easy to prepare.
If like me, you have a huge collection of 'diet' books, the GL diet' is unlike any you've had before. My other books might be sold off or given to 'charity' shops. But this is one book which I will be carrying around with me until it falls to pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, delicious - perfect!, 18 Jan. 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
I hate dieting!!!! and have been on so very many. This book makes it very easy. GI was confusing, Atkins / low carb monotonous, low fat / low calorie was tasteless. Here we have good food, simple recipes, easy guidelines, tips on how to do it in a hurry without having to think to hard. It fits into a very busy life. However one big pleasure is entertaining, cooking for people, long evenings of good food and good wine, and this diet is great for that too! I've done two big catering experiments for friends, one being new year's eve, and not a soul mentioned anything other than how tasty the whole thing was!
Something else that needs a big mention - addressed in this book is the mental approach to dieting. This proved invaluable as I have found it not only easier on the tastebuds, but also easier on the will power, and I find myself thinking about why I want to shed the excess pounds in a very different way than before - it's very positive, inclusive and encouraging.
Thanks so much!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The GL is far better than GI for weight loss, 10 Jan. 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
Using the GL or glycaemic load as in this book rather than the GI or glycaemic index alone is far better and more accurate to help you lose weight I have found. It also means you can introduce more foods such as carrots, watermelon, sweetcorn etc all of which are banned in the standard low GI books when actually a portion won't affect your blood sugar levels! An enlightening read which explains in detail how the GI and GL of foods are tested.
I seem to be actually eating more than normal and still losing weight plus my energy levels have gone through the roof.
Highly recommended - it really does what it says on the cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars After 30 years of yoyo dieting - this works for me!, 18 Jan. 2005
H P Turner (Middx. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
I have just read this book really to reaffirm the regime I have been following for the last two years after reading Jason Vale's (The Juicemaster) book. It's the only thing that's worked for me as I've been yo-yo-ing for most of my life (and that's some time as I'm a very young 50!). So I finally lost one and a half stone and haven't had chocolate or crisps and biscuits for two years without missing them (much!)! I wanted to read the book for reinforcement and to see if some of the things I had worked out for myself were there such as allowing myself some ice cream occasionally. I was amazed that this book advocated the very things I had found did not seem to upset my diet and send me back to my old ways! This is a very workable regime that really does stop the cravings. I enjoy not being ruled by food now and cravings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The diet for life, 14 Feb. 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
This book is packed full of delicious receipes that are so easy to make. The layout of the book is easy to follow. It explains what your GI is and how by following the GL diet you can loose weight and feel better. This is not a quick fix diet, it is a way of changing the way you look at your everyday foods. I am not hungry on this diet, and genuinely feel healthier and more alert since beginning it. There is even a pudding section in this diet! There are great tips on what to order when eating out in a variety of restaurants eg Indian , Chinese, Mexican, Italian and Greek. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to follow a healthy eating regime and not just to those who want to shift their excess weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective diet, 2 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
At the risk of gushing, the GL Diet has revolutionised my lifestyle. If you've found yourself giving up diets within a couple of weeks or even days, then this is the diet for you! I've lost around 2 stone in under a year, dropped 2 dress sizes, and although I've combined the diet with regular exercise, I have also "slipped" occasionally and indulged in too much cake or booze! But the difference with GL is that it's not hard to gear yourself to get back on the diet, basically because the food is so good, you don't feel like you're missing out. It's not really right to call it a "diet" as this is just the food you should be eating everyday to be healthy. I used to suffer from anaemia caused by heavy irregular periods, bloating, lethargy, mood swings and cravings for sugary starchy food, and I can't believe how much they have improved since starting GL, so anyone suffering from similar ailments should really consider this diet.
I'd recommend buying as many of the books in the GL series as you can so you've got as much choice and variety in your diet as possible- that really is the key to sticking to a diet. I have to say I'm not great at baking and haven't had much success with deserts such as chocolate sponge puddings or muffins where you substitute flour for ground almonds. They're a lot of fuss and will just make you crave the real thing ultimately! But 2 stone later, that is my only complaint with this diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a diet that works., 4 Jan. 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
I was given a copy of the book two week ago and intended to use it as a new years resoloution. Instead curiosity got the better of me and I used it through the Christmas period.I stuck to the diet and have lost 9 lbs in two weeks even though it was Christmas. I am absoloutley amazed because if anything I have eaten more food than I normally would. This has given me a real boost.I have also been on the web site and sent in a few questions which were answered straight away.I am so impressed that I have recommended it to my friends to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful!, 12 Jan. 2005
This review is from: The GL Diet (Paperback)
I found this book to be a surprisingly straightforward read and extremely easy to put into action - after only 10 days, the effects in terms of improved energy levels and well-being are already very noticable.

The GL Diet
The GL Diet by Nigel Denby (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2005)