Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 September 2013
For years there any Scandinavian knitting design book in print was as rare as hen's teeth, but thankfully in the last few years a number of knitting historians and designers have gone out of their way to remedy that.

I first saw this book on interweave and tried to "pre-order" it but was told it was "US only" but no reason why, it would be helpful to the author if Interweave could put something like "see UK edition for the rest of the world." I went and looked it up because I thought "US only" was strange and sure enough it was already in print in the UK!

So, I happily ordered it sent here to the Republic of Ireland from Amazon and I am very happy I did so! This book is exactly what it says, a huge catalog of various Scandinavian knitting designs for putting on your home-made ski sweaters, yoke sweaters, mittens, hats, gloves etc.

What it is NOT is a pattern book, though there are a few patterns and suggestions put in the back - this book is for those who want to design their own knitting, and provides a way to do that in a very easy and friendly manner. Designs are easily charted out and counted, so know know if your sweater is 45 inches around, you can use designs with 5 stitches to the inch and be even.

Even beginning knitters should be able to use this book with the smaller designs, I recommend practicing the two handed "one yarn in each hand" for color knitting - it is a bit clumsy at first but whose watching? Once you "get it" using this sort of pattern book is very easy and it becomes like painting your own knitted objects with yarn.

I am so happy to see such a lovely book of traditional patterns and instructions in print - will be telling all the knitters I know about it.
on 17 January 2014
I just love this book! I am just starting out in designing my own things and this is a great addition to my collection of stitch dictionaries and reference books.

The book is beautifully laid out and very clear. The first few sections discuss yarn, basic knitting techniques and pointers on planning and designing with these motifs. These sections are brief but very helpful although other books would be useful if you really want to get into the 'knitty' gritty of any of those subjects.

The star of the book is certainly the design directory. Small photos over a few pages give you a sort of table of contents so you can quickly scan the designs, see them next to each other and easily see which page to go to for more detail. The swatches with small motifs usually combine a few into one swatch.
Each of those swatch photos is then shown on a full page with the charts on the opposite page. The charts are wonderful, broken down into black and white grids, and two variations in colour. Each chart makes it very clear how many stitches and rows are involved. Also they are grouped so that motifs with the same or complementary stitch counts are together and this makes combining motifs so easy!

This is such a wonderful book and a must have for anyone looking to design with Scandinavian motifs or to use them to adapt another pattern. Highly recommended.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 September 2013
Following on from 200 Fair-Isle Designs, Mary is back with colourful Scandinavian knitting. Some of the designs will strike you as more obviously Scandinavian than others. Actual size swatches are shown together with charts and alternative colourways for the designs. The charts are easy to use. For all levels of knitters used to working with more than one colour of yarn, this is a useful book. Essential techniques are given for those unfamiliar with colour knitting. It includes symbols and motifs, animals, flowers and traditional geometric patterns. You can combine the designs to make your own unique patterns. There are also four projects included for you to make - a cowl, hat, mittens and pincushion. Great for those who like to design their own knitwear.
on 1 November 2014
This book not only gives ideas for creating patterns used in Scandinavian jackets and jumpers, it is invaluable for instruction in the methods used for knitting them. I was getting rather muddled while trying to knit a jacket from a Norwegian pattern (English translation), a quick browse through this book solved my problems and told me where I'd misunderstood the instructions, and more importantly told me how to fix mistakes quickly and easily. Recommended.
on 17 February 2015
I usually don't write reviews but feel compelled to do so on this occasion - I just love this book, I'm a novice knitter but always aspired to complete a circular knitting project using Scandinavian designs and I could not have chosen a better book to help me achieve my goal. The layout and presentation of the patterns, design options, and different colourways shown has helped me enormously in planning and knitting my blanket. At last a knitting book that is speaking and presenting information in such way that I find totally accessible and easy to follow. The whole process of completing my first project has been an absolute joy and I'm looking forward to planning my next project with this wonderful book being my only point of reference.
on 15 April 2014
As a new convert to knitting I am not very experienced, but am making up for that in enthusiasm. This gorgeous book caught my eye at a trade fair because it has such a clear, straightforward way of explaining the patterns as well as the techniques needed to successfully create items with them.

What I like most of all about the book is that it will give you charts for the motifs, which you can then work into a project of your own choice. As a novice knitter I feel both inspired and encouraged to give it a go with the help of this lovely book.
on 18 February 2015
Lovely book with tips on how to knit with more than one colour and patterns with charts that are easy to follow. I tried a couple of the patterns with the techniques in the book as a valentine's card and they came out really well.
review image review image
on 26 May 2014
The recipient of this book is an avid knitter and was really delighted with this specialist book. I am awaiting the arrival of a reindeer motif jumper with some trepidation! An excellent gift for the knitter in your life.
on 12 March 2015
The book is great, but unfortunately it is identical to the same author's 150 Scandinavian Knitting Motifs, just retitled and with a different cover.
on 14 July 2015
Brought this book on my sisters advice as we have been using odd wool to make different designs on our knitting. Have already used 4/5 designs . What I like is you can use the designs on any item you wish, be it jumpers, cardigans, gloves, hats etc.