Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2012
I was really excited when I read about this book as I love instant gratification knittng. The book arrived today and immediately sat with a cuppa and read cover to cover. And was very impressed, the projects vary and all seen easy patterns so perfect for beginners and lots of variety. The only problem with the book is once I put the kids to bed I excitedly picked a project, raided my stash and picked a project to knit, choosing the scarf on pg. 90 and as I was knitting I came across a lot of mistakes in the pattern. Luckily as Im already a knitter I was able to work around them but a beginner knitter would have prob got frustrated and gave up, and as a result of the mistakes the scarf took over an hr to make. So not sure what to expect from the rest of the patterns. Only time will tell.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2013
This book is a nice volume of ideas for practise knits for those just starting. The project organiser at the front lists the designs by difficulty, and the guide at the back of the book is fantastic for a quick reminder on techniques.

However... be warned: the first design in the book, the chick, is incorrect. The correct increase/decrease can be found on the egg pattern on the next page. I worry this could knock the confidence of new knitters.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 26 September 2012
You love knitting but you don't have much time and you love to see your projects finished quickly. Here's the book for you. 60 projects that are not too time-consuming but will give finished results quickly. Is the timer running? You can see all the projects on pages 8-9, pics are tiny like thumbnails, but should help you select a project easily enough. I love the coasters, napkin rings, birds, baby pixie hat (could I wear that?), tiny teddy, bracelet, bow hairpins, crown and more. Hand-felted projects include a lovely apple pincushion not to mention the pear that looks good enough to eat. Knitting instructions are easy to follow and there are good photographs of each project. Equipment, techniques and basic knitting guidance is also given. Fun (anyone for a Salvador Dali moustache?), practical and quick. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 23 September 2015
This pretty, well-designed book is a real inspiration. It got me back into knitting after years and I have been able to navigate my way through several of the designs easily thanks to the step-by-step instructions and stitch explanations at the back. More qualified knitters than I have commented that there are mistakes in the patterns. That might explain why I could not get the wrap-over bootees to work but don't let that put you off, there's plenty of cute stuff to keep you busy. I should say though that I have never managed anything in 30 minutes (more like 3 days) but at least the projects aren't too ambitious and are easy enough to finish relatively quickly. I love it!
on 27 October 2012
Great items to knit up in your spare time, also ideal for using up all your odd bits of wool. An ideal book to knit gifts for fund raising or craft stalls. Well pleased.
on 11 February 2013
This is a great book for anyone, like me, with a low boredom threshold as these are quick and easy projects. Having said that my first make was the baby shoes featured on the cover and each one took me at least two hours! But I haven't been knitting long and I do watch television at the same time - enough said. I really liked the fact that there is basic information on knitting at the back of the book including how to pick up dropped stitches and techniques for sewing up which I found particularly illuminating - my seams are very much neater now.
Apart from the 30 minute promise being a bit of stretch for some of the projects (but perfectly believable for others) my only other grouse is that despite purporting to be suitable for beginners, I came across techniques that were not explained in the book. An example was yo or yarn over, in the baby shoe pattern - although basic stuff like how to do a slip knot was covered, yarn over was never mentioned. But other than this the patterns seem reliable, are certainly varied, and if the baby shoes are anything to go by, they come out very well.
Overall good value and great fun.
on 10 December 2012
loved this book.must admit some items took me longer than 30 minutes to knit,but the end results are lovely.really pleased i brought this book.
on 2 May 2013
This book is fine if you only wish to make small but quirky items so would recommend it if that's your requirement.
on 5 January 2013
Bought for my daughter as a quick how to book for her A level textile studies.
She likes it and recommends it. I was a D&T teacher in high school so I know a book like this is well worth the money.
on 2 September 2013
I didn't find many patterns that I'd like to make. Quite a few were completely useless, like a trim for a lampshade, a fake mustache or a knitted tiny fish. In some cases the 30 minute time frame was based on super bulky yarn and huge needles and would require specific yarns and other materials. I didn't finish any of the few patterns that I tried in 30 minutes or even close.