Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2012
I love this book because it is so well laid out, with clear colourful pictures of all 100 snowflakes, and they all have interesting names!!
The snowflakes are beautiful, there are a wide variety to suit all, some lacy and some a little more chunky. Also the terminology is english not american, and there are diagrams for the patterns as well as written instructions.
The clear and colourful layout is very inspiring and I can't wait to get going on the pretty designs, which need not be used as snowflakes only, there are a few ideas in the back of the book for other uses.
This book is a KEEPER !!!
I would recommend this book to a beginner or an advanced crocheter and I would certainly buy it for a friend.
I am so glad I bought this book, its so nice, fresh and modern.
on 9 January 2013
Clear instructions and illustrations. These were the first things I made after learning to crochet which shows that the instructions are easy to follow. I got a bit addicted - you just want to try all 100! Most of the snowflakes take 15-20 mins to make so it's quite easy to knock up a little collection of them for Xmas presents etc. It is essential to stiffen and block them - some which didn't look very promising when finished were beautiful once blocked. I found it worked well to stiffen them in a mixture of 1 third PVA glue, 1 third glitter glue, 1 third water. Put the mixture in a freezer bag and squish the snowflakes around in it before squeezing them out and blocking.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 6 September 2012
Wow, I'm not that big on crochet - much prefer knitting. Can't say I have ever got up and thought 'I want to crochet snowflakes' - but I am hooked on this book. Snowflakes are unique - no two are alike. In this book Caitlin has created 100 snowflakes, each one is sheer delight. If you are a seasoned crocheter, I know you'll find this useful - even if you are a non-crocheter or dabbling with the hook is infrequent, I still recommend you get this book. If you are a complete beginner, there is a crochet refresher course. The snowflakes are clearly photographed against a coloured background, the patterns are then given with another photo of the snowflakes on a white background with a graph and written instructions. If you are like me, you won't know which one to start with as you will probably want to crochet all 100. There are simple projects given at the back of the book that include tree decorations, mobile, scarf, decoration for mittens. I can think of many more things to do with these crocheted snowflakes - I know you will too. Recommended. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 4 June 2013
The patterns in this book are very clear and easy to follow. In addition to written instructions, each design has a patten diagram and a photo of the completed piece. This makes it easy to pick a design as you can see the (intended) final look and it helps with ensuring the piece is working up as it should. The book progresses from simple designs to more complex and so was good for me as a newcomer to finer crochet work.
on 14 December 2012
100 Snowflakes to Crochet: Make Your Own Snowdrift: To Give or For Keeps

I've just got this book from the library and already know that I'm going to buy it for my ever-expanding crochet library! Beautifully laid out, as are all Search Press books, and containing 100 different patterns, rather than a few patterns reworked in different colours as is sometimes the case. Sufficient instructions for a beginner put not pages and pages of them so experts won't feel pages have been wasted. The instructions also include the best method of finishing the final stitch, on any crochet work. Lots of intricate snowflakes as well as more solid sided ones that can be used as pot-holders or joined to make garments. I can now throw away all those downloaded patterns and just keep this one book. And another good thing is that the instructions are in English not US so no tricky remembering which stitch you're doing. Oh, did I say... it's a brilliant book!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 November 2012
The snowflakes are arranged in order of difficulty and each one has a clear photo, chart, and text pattern. Perfect present for my "crafty" niece who is just starting to learn using patterns. Some are simple enough that her little sister should be able to help too. Not that this is at all aimed at kids, but thought she might like to make a Christmas garland for the tree :)
on 13 May 2013
I like the book and have crocheted quite a few of the snowflakes, I think they could have been done out of thicker cotton. They will look good stitched on to bunting for Christmas. Some of the instructions not so easy to follow.
on 1 January 2013
An excellent book. Easy to follow instructions. Not too hard to make and nice small projects that don't take an age to do. I just used spray starch from the supermarket which works well for fine cotton. I made lots and gave as gifts for friends and family (placed in their Christmas Cards) which were well received.
on 1 March 2014
Bought this for pocket projects last autumn (each snowflake takes less wool than you think and the hook is thin enough to carry in a small purse). Really glad I purchased it. Have never worked with cotton thread before, but a couple of misshapen practice snow flakes and I was away. Very clear instructions, each snowflake pictured (which made it very easy to see if tension wrong or where any mistakes lay), snowflakes graded into different difficulty levels. Am only an intermediate level crocheter, but I think even absolute beginners would find the steps easy to follow and any flakes made would be a huge confidence boost as they look brilliant. Also: I didn't bother about starch or pinning them to a cork board or anything- just grabbed a hook and cotton thread and cracked on. 4 ply wool makes a far prettier, softer flake but thread shows off the stitches better. Typical: bought loads of thread and made 90 % of the flakes from left over wool as I loved how they looked in wool. I made quite a few (perfect project for when you've the odd 10 minutes to fill) and if I'd had enough spare time, would have made them into the snowflake shawl suggested. Also - easy confidence boost: saw some in the local wool shop that someone else had made - and was more impressed with mine.
on 27 December 2013
There are 100 snowflakes in this book, but they are more chunkier than snowflakes I would use for a tree. Also the snowflakes have been made in all different colours therefore you don't think snowflake it reminds you of granny squares. However, the author has made a blizzard scarf which is very pretty, and this is how I would use these patterns...to make up items like shawls, scarves, and table cloths. I guess you could use a finer thread to make them more snowflake like. Having said that, I would recommend this book to anyone, even a novice, as there are excellent charts and instructions to follow, so anyone could use these patterns whatever your experience. They are English instructions but it also has the American terminology, and the ideas for using these snowflakes are excellent, from gift tags to embellishments, the possibilities are endless.